Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Danielson
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to make sure I understand the exact steps of executing Verena's Close Quarters attack along with Combat Momentum. Please look this over and confirm or correct each step for me, there are many subtleties present that I'm not sure I have right.

Close Quarters:
2S: Use when an adjacent hostile figure is defeated to interrupt to perform an attack using that figure's attack type and attack pool. The attack gains:
Surge: +2 acc, +1 dmg

1XP Combat Momentum: 1S: Use when an adjacent hostile figure is defeated to gain 2 movement points. / When you use "Close Quarters" you can move up to 1 space before performing the attack.

X=Empty, S=Stormtrooper, V=Verena, No obstacles walls or difficult terrain.

Verena is next to a Stormtrooper.
X.S.X
X.X.X
X.X.X
X.S.X
X.V.X

Someone else kills the adjacent Stormtrooper during their activation.
The Stormtrooper could be removed from the map if the players chose to at this time, or more likely it would remain so they could chose to activate close quarters later on.
Verena has 1xp Combat Momentum and triggers the top part to gain 2 movement points.
Verena must use them immediately since it is not her activation. (If the Stormtrooper figure is gone at this point she could move onto or through the space it previously occupied)?
If after using those movement points she is still adjacent to the defeated figure, she could then trigger Close Quarters to perform a ranged attack with the Stormtroopers B/G dice.
X.S.X
X.X.X
X.V.X
X.S.X
X.X.X

This triggers the bottom part of Combat Momentum allowing her to move 1 space before the attack is performed.
She moves next to another Stormtrooper with this movement and performs the Close Quarters attack.
X.S.X
X.V.X
X.X.X
X.S.X
X.X.X

Hopefully Verena defeats the second Stormtrooper and can repeat the above sequence.
If she did repeat the sequence, at what point is the first Stormtrooper figure removed from the map? I assume immediately after the first Close Quarters attack is resolved? This is where my brain really breaks down resolving all the interrupting abilities.

Could she for example, after defeating the second Stormtrooper, trigger another Close Quarters attack (optionally using the one movement from the bottom of Combat Momentum) and during the attack trace line of sight through the original Stormtroopers space? Then use her two free movement gained from the top part of Combat Momentum (assuming she was still next to the second defeated figure after the second Close Quarters attack) to land on the original Stormtroopers space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't choose when a figure is removed from the map, it is removed when it is defeated, which happens when the figure has suffered damage equal to his health. This happens during step 7 of the attack, before any "after the attack resolves" abilities are resolved. (For example the target is not blocking line of sight when you resolve Cleave with Reach.)

All of the applicable abilities of Verena trigger at the same time, she just decides in which order they are resolved. If she moves with Combat Momentum, she can still resolve Close Quarters. "An adjacent hostile figure being defeated" is the trigger, it is not re-evaluated when she resolves the ability.

There are a few threads about this, and discussion about triggers containing conditions as part of the trigger, so I would rather not rewrite everything. Let's see.

See:
Oppression ruling
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/202071-verena...
Verena's Close Quaters + Combat Momentum question (and a master operative question)
Verena Close Quarters, Combat Momentum and Cleave/Blast

Also:
Ability Resolution order during attacks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Danielson
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
You don't choose when a figure is removed from the map, it is removed when it is defeated, which happens when the figure has suffered damage equal to his health. This happens during step 7 of the attack, before any "after the attack resolves" abilities are resolved. (For example the target is not blocking line of sight when you resolve Cleave with Reach.)

All of the applicable abilities of Verena trigger at the same time, she just decides in which order they are resolved. If she moves with Combat Momentum, she can still resolve Close Quarters. "An adjacent hostile figure being defeated" is the trigger, it is not re-evaluated when she resolves the ability.

There are a few threads about this, and discussion about triggers containing conditions as part of the trigger, so I would rather not rewrite everything. Let's see.

See:
Oppression ruling
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/202071-verena...
Verena's Close Quaters + Combat Momentum question (and a master operative question)
Verena Close Quarters, Combat Momentum and Cleave/Blast

Also:
Ability Resolution order during attacks

Thanks Pasi, I've reviewed the links you provided and I've read several of them previously. The FFG link was particularly useful and I'd not seen that one. I don't understand the relevance of the Oppression Ruling in this case, I likely just don't understand the subtleties of the abilities discussed there.

What I gather that you are saying is that when the figure next to Verena is defeated all these things can/will happen in any order of Verena's choosing:
The defeated figure is removed from the map.
You can gain a Close Quarters attack regardless of where you might be standing before you roll the dice.
You can gain 2 MP. (and only spend them at this time if you are outside of your activation)
You can gain move one space.

So my mistake in the OP is that I incorrectly thought that after performing each of the above individual steps I still had to have the valid 'triggering' condition to perform the next step. I incorrectly associated this with a situation like declaring a melee attack and then the target of the attack moves and invalidates the rest of the attack.

Am I understanding what you are telling me correctly now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The main things to understand are the attack timing and how defeat works during step 7, and that "when an adjacent figure is defeated" is fully a trigger, and it is thus not re-evaluated when the effect of the ability is performed.

Maybe this makes it clearer, or not. During an attack:

7. Suffer Damage
- A figure suffers damage equal to its Health, and is defeated and (if non-hero or wounded) is removed from the map.
--- If Verena was adjacent to the figure and it was hostile, "An adjacent hostile figure is defeated" is true
----- Combat Momentum (top part) triggers
----- Close Quarters triggers
----- Because there are abilities with the same trigger, Verena chooses the order in which to perform them.
----- a) resolve Combat Momentum - suffer 1 strain, receive 2 movement points. If it is not Verena's activation, spend the 2 movement points. Otherwise add them to mp pool.
----- b) resolve Close Quarters - suffer 2 strain, move upto 1 space from Combat Momentum (low part), perform an attack. If the target is defeated during step 7 of the attack, do this again.
---
- Step 7 ends.

8. The attack resolves - apply conditions from Condition Keywords, perform Blast, Cleave, and other abilities.

9. The attack has been performed.

10. The Attack action has been performed.

It's of course possible that the figure adjacent to Verena was defeated by damage from other sources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Danielson
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand it much more fully now, thank you for your help Pasi. I appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.