Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read a few articles and I'm not sold on Macron. Interesting ideas, but he's a finance guy, and I'm suspicious. If The Economist loves him, he's a strong neoliberal. Yuck. Obviously I'm not a fan of Le Pen though. It's cool how they built up a quick political party within one election cycle.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-39823865

The real award goes to the French who come up with cool names for their political parties!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some cool articles I've read this month:

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21721134-high-stakes-...

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21721398-his-race-again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the real award goes to the French electorate. They just prove themselves a smart enough not to make the lunatic bigoted choice in an election. Unlike their US and UK counterparts.

And interesting trivia about the new President of France. The age gap between him and his wife is the same as between Donald Trump and his wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
I've read a few articles and I'm not sold on Macron. Interesting ideas, but he's a finance guy, and I'm suspicious. If The Economist loves him, he's a strong neoliberal. Yuck. Obviously I'm not a fan of Le Pen though. It's cool how they built up a quick political party within one election cycle.

The real award goes to the French who come up with cool names for their political parties!

Pretty tired of the 'neoliberal' slur though. The blatant hate for moderation is hard for me to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
And interesting trivia about the new President of France. The age gap between him and his wife is the same as between Donald Trump and his wife.

More interesting she is one of his former teachers.

And, indeed, we have now our youngest president and oldest first lady.

But to stay on politics, the important thing will be the election of the low chamber of the parliament on June.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:

More interesting she is one of his former teachers.

It would have been really interesting to see how well he would have fared in a US election as this is something that is generally frowned upon by the American public.

(I think they didn't have any illegal sexual activities, but I don't know.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
(I think they didn't have any illegal sexual activities, but I don't know.)

Apparently there is material for the biopic "The Forbidden love of a future French president".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
Apparently there is material for the biopic "The Forbidden love of a future French president".

I'm sure the title would sound even better in French.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Looks like Macron's "If you like school so much, why don't you marry it?" bully was way more persuasive than most smart kids'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hats off to the French electorate for making one sane decision to buck the trend around the world - May, Trump, Duterte.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
To those American sympathizers wailing and gnashing teeth over the French election, may I propose practicing what you preach?

She lost. Get over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So (results so far), amongst voters:
- Emmanuel Macron: 43,25 %,
- stayed at home: 25,3 %,
- Marine Le Pen: 22,48%,
- invalid vote: 8,96 %.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey so guys (Americans) I don't think we're allowed to make fun of France anymore, since they are clearly smarter on average and have a more functional government than we do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
Hey so guys (Americans) I don't think we're allowed to make fun of France anymore, since they are clearly smarter on average and have a more functional government than we do.

Better government, better health care, better education, better smell...

Well, the first three, anyhow. Vive la France!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
But to stay on politics, the important thing will be the election of the low chamber of the parliament on June.

Absolutely, no-one knows just how many seats EM! will get.

He has to pick his PM for the short time before those elections and it will be interesting to see what he does there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglebeak wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

Better government, better health care, better education, better smell...

Well, the first three, anyhow. Vive la France!

Better vacation benefits.

---

Hooray.. the EU lives a few more years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too surprised; once it was clear it was a Populist and a more conventional candidate the polls began swinging pretty solidly, especially over the last week.

We'll have to see how it goes I reckon. Either way, Viva Le France!

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
windsagio wrote:
einsteinidahosu wrote:

Pretty tired of the 'neoliberal' slur though. The blatant hate for moderation is hard for me to take.

Nothing moderate about neoliberalism at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
Ferretman wrote:
I'm not too surprised; once it was clear it was a Populist and a more conventional candidate the polls began swinging pretty solidly, especially over the last week.

That's been clear about the FN since the 80s. If anything, what is worrysome os that she got 35% of the vote, including about a third of Fillon's first-round voters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
viclineal wrote:
windsagio wrote:
einsteinidahosu wrote:

Label and dismiss. You might have a case if you weren't just arbitrarily assigning the label though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
windsagio wrote:
viclineal wrote:
windsagio wrote:
einsteinidahosu wrote:

Label and dismiss. You might have a case if you weren't just arbitrarily assigning the label though.

Dude, neoliberalism is one of the most academically and polítically explored movements in the post-war world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
viclineal wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

That's been clear about the FN since the 80s. If anything, what is worrysome os that she got 35% of the vote, including about a third of Fillon's first-round voters.

We're talking about recent history, which is more relevant here than reaching back a couple of decades.

I'm not surprised she got about a third; that's about the percentage that are more populist and radical than most French.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
viclineal wrote:
windsagio wrote:
viclineal wrote:
windsagio wrote:
einsteinidahosu wrote:

Dude, neoliberalism is one of the most academically and polítically explored movements in the post-war world.

I did quick scan on the net, and I'm not really finding credible sources calling En Marche! neoliberal though, it's mostly commentators with half-knowledge.

Which is my point of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
Ferretman wrote:
I'm not surprised she got about a third; that's about the percentage that are more populist and radical than most French.

What I mean is that, if anything, we're witnessing the end of the consensus that the FN is out of bounds, not the sudden realisation that it is.

Le Pen's significant support amongst Fillon voters also means that the Sarkozy move of abandoning more traditional Gaullist positions and parroting far-right anti-immigrant and law and order talking points (with the invaluable help of Hollande and Valls doing the same) has worked. The FN used to define itself as a "fourth position" because one of the things it rejected was the French right with its very civic idea of the French nation (they supported an ethnic view of France instead), and the rejection was mutual. Sarkozy normalised far right discourse for short-term political gain and the result (oh surprise) is that French politics is getting darkly and dangerously far right.

She'll do better in the next presidential election, unless the other second round candidate is someone who gives a non-neofascist, non-chauvinistic narrative for the problems of most working class French voters of all origins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.