High Frontier (3rd edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Martian Polar Insertion Burn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I contend that the polar insertion burn for Mars--the one near Deimos that is not a lander burn--should be an unfilled circle (not a burn) from an orbital dynamics perspective. It should just be called "Polar Orbit". It's as easy to transit to/from a heliocentric orbit to a Martian polar orbit as it is to a Martian equatorial orbit, but with the current map this is not so in the game.

Also, for realism there should be lander burns to all three sites from the polar orbit, since--unlike an equatorial orbit--a polar orbit covers the whole planet surface every sol, though I realize this would create balance problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right about the heliocentric burns. One for the fourth edition map, perhaps.

The realism issue raises it's head for transfers to the Martian Moons, which orbit equatorially. Removing that burn makes the dV identical for transfer from both equatorial and polar orbits, when they clearly are not.

The problem with adding additional lander burns is that you also want to reduce map clutter - and I really don't think you want to be crossing the aerobrake path with a line to the lander burn. The logic is sound though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I wonder if it's worth just eliminating the Martian north pole and reducing the Space Elevator venture to 3 claims, since in most games that site is just an extra claim for whoever gets a buggy down to the surface. That would reduce clutter and eliminate the dynamics problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.