Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Conquest or Destruction question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Mohrfield
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
After having defeated an enemy and removed all his units from an area, can the victorious player choose not to destroy or conquer a building of the defeated player if one is present? For example, could the Chaos player choose not to destroy the defeated player's building for purposes of gaining power by a festering Chaos nest?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The PnP rules say:

Quote:
The empire with a remaining Unit may then choose to Conquer or Destroy the enemy Building.


Emphasis mine.

Seems pretty clear that conquering or destroying is optional.

Cheers,
Graham
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, those rules have an FAQ entry that states you must do one or the other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mohrfield
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
AdamStarks wrote:
IIRC, those rules have an FAQ entry that states you must do one or the other.


I've looked through the FAQ and there seems to be no such entry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 11 of the rulebook has this in green text:
Quote:
while you MUST conquer or destroy an enemy building when eligible, you can choose to destroy a building that you could have conquered


I think that's what they meant by 'may': not that the entire interaction was optional, but that you have a choice of whether it's Conquest or Destroy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
Page 11 of the rulebook has this in green text:
Quote:
while you MUST conquer or destroy an enemy building when eligible, you can choose to destroy a building that you could have conquered


I think that's what they meant by 'may': not that the entire interaction was optional, but that you have a choice of whether it's Conquest or Destroy.


That's not in the PnP rulebook. Presumably you have access to a more recent version?

Cheers,
Graham
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is from the June 1, 2016 upload here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/121637/gods-war-rules-jul...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Those rules pre-date the PnP (Aug 2016) so looks like being forced to conquer and destroy got dropped?

Cheers,
Graham
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I forgot about that other version of the PnP shake

Regardless, I just checked it out, and right there on page 10, after
Quote:
The empire with a remaining Unit may then choose to Conquer or Destroy the enemy Building.


it says
Quote:
To Conquer the building, eliminate it (returns to the owner’s Pool) and replace it with your own identical building (i.e., shrine for shrine, temple for temple). If you cannot replace an enemy building with the same type (for example, if you have no Temples in your Pool) you must Destroy it. (You may not spare the building.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, so it does. I skipped over that because the paragraph starts off as "how to perform a conquest". Hopefully the final rules will give a little more prominence to the "no spare" rule.

Cheers,
Graham
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
Yep, so it does. I skipped over that because the paragraph starts off as "how to perform a conquest". Hopefully the final rules will give a little more prominence to the "no spare" rule.

Cheers,
Graham
Ideally they'd just replace the "may" with "must", as in "the player must do x or y".
Might be the fact that English isn't my native language, but I really don't see how "may" is the proper word for this situation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
therealbuserian wrote:
Yep, so it does. I skipped over that because the paragraph starts off as "how to perform a conquest". Hopefully the final rules will give a little more prominence to the "no spare" rule.

Cheers,
Graham
Ideally they'd just replace the "may" with "must", as in "the player must do x or y".
Might be the fact that English isn't my native language, but I really don't see how "may" is the proper word for this situation.


English is my native language, and I agree... I'm hesitant to give any specific advice, though, as I know Arthur's been busy editing the rules anyway, so this may be a non-issue.

Cheers,
Graham
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the group of backers doing proofreading, but the rulebook itself isn't ready yet. When it is, I'll be sure to look at this specific area.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
I'm in the group of backers doing proofreading, but the rulebook itself isn't ready yet. When it is, I'll be sure to look at this specific area.


Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.