Tom Kalhagen
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!
I am in the process of developing a board game called Turning Point. Below I will provide you with the game overview and some more in depth details about gameplay. Later this month the board should be fully designed and then play testing can take place. To put it into a quick perspective, it's going to be Scythe + Catan + Diplomacy. But there are mechanics I am implementing that I haven't seen in board games before. Take a look!

Overview:
Turning Point is a strategic board game set on a post WWIII Earth where resources are scarce and everyone is fighting to survive. The globe has been divided into eight colonies, but only one can be victorious. The game combines both diplomacy and war to get the resources that you need to survive. Some promises will have to be kept and others broken. Turning Point takes place in “real time” meaning that one player's delay on giving orders could cost them the game, but jumping to make your move too quickly could prove fatal as well. The game is unique in that any space on the board can hold multiple player’s pieces at any given time. This allows players to fly over territories controlled by other players. Will you allow the skies over your colony to be free, or will you immediately shoot down foreign planes?

There are five phases to each round
- Trading/Planning
- First Military Phase
- Second Military Phase
- Radiation Phase
- Feeding Phase

Explanation for first two phases
Trading/Planning
The timer will be flipped, and players will have one minute to trade with other players and plan out their next turn. Trading is as simple as exchanging one of your resource cards with the resource card (or cards) of another player. Players are allowed to gift resources for free or make diplomatic agreements in exchange for resources as well. (example: if you attack Western Canada on your next turn I will give you 1 silver) You will also take this time to plan for the Military Phase. This can be done by brainstorming in silence, or discussing future plans with other players. Once time is up if any discussion or trading is still happening, it must stop. If all players agree to end this phase before the one minute is up then the next stage begins.

Military Phases
All players that want to perform an action during the first military phase will then put their hand on the plane that they want to move. If a player does not want to move a plane in the first military phase they do not have to. Once all players that want to perform a military action have a hand on the plane they want to move, the timer will be flipped. Players will have 1 minute to move their plane one legal space on the board. A player could move their plane immediately, and in turn change the plans of another player who is yet to move their plane, or maybe convince them to not move their plane at all. Once 1 minute is up, any plane to not move to a new space must remain in the space it started in. If all players that want to perform an action do so before the one minute is up than the phase is complete. Players then repeat the above directions for the second military phase. Players can move the same plane a second time or move a new plane.

Winning
Whichever player first controls all 15 of the world's resources, wins the game. As soon as the player acquires their last needed resource, likely through military conflict, the game immediately ends and no other actions are taken. The game can also end if all players unanimously agree on a winner. There can be no ties or shared victories.

My Conclusion
There is a lot more to this game that I haven't described yet, such as Power Cards which are used for battle, obtaining food, and conducting research. Radiation will also plague the map, taking away your resources.

Please let me know what you think of everything thus far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting first concept.

However, I loath real time games. But from what I am reading from your summary, I'm not sure this game has to be real time at all. It seems like what you are going for is actually Simultaneous Action Selection.

Could you implement the plane/military movement using a card system instead? That would remove the requirement for the timer and most likely make the game easier to play and more deterministic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kalhagen
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrapyardarmory wrote:
Interesting first concept.

However, I loath real time games. But from what I am reading from your summary, I'm not sure this game has to be real time at all. It seems like what you are going for is actually Simultaneous Action Selection.

Could you implement the plane/military movement using a card system instead? That would remove the requirement for the timer and most likely make the game easier to play and more deterministic.

Thank you for your feedback! Could you elaborate more on a possible card system that could be used?

As far as the "real time" concept goes, the game does has physical rounds with definite beginnings and endings, but just the military phase of the game have a "real time" feel. I wasn't looking to have an order/movement phase like diplomacy, but rather let players make their decisions based on who is willing to strike first. I thought this was a strong simulation of real warfare; rather than having everything shift like clockwork, there is more to piece together and consider. I personally don't see the issue with this, but I appreciate knowing that not everyone will be as excited about it as I am!

Would you mind further explaining why you don't like this mechanic idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.