Dragonfire» Forums » General

Subject: Questions??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dzone one
United States
California
flag msg tools
Will you be able to level up your character? Will there be option to continue to level up your character with more difficult expansions or do you have to pick out a new character with each expiation (like pathfinder)?

How much story will be involved or will it be just a dry hack and slash.. For example refer to page number x section y and read to party when you defeat z.

How much character creations is there or are the characters all prerolled?

How will the game reimagine walking through caverns, dungeons, forests, opps I stepped on a trap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes

2) Implied, but not yet confirmed.

3) Unclear on how developed the stories will be. There will be story advancement packs that let you travel across Faerun (Forgotten Realms) but how "storied" these are compared to just monster mix and other content isn't yet known.

4) There will be race selection and class selection when making a character, so there will be a reasonable degree of individual character creation. This will obviously increase with expansions, vs the core box.

5) Good question. No idea at this stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The based "Dungeon Crawl" in this image, it's the exact same idea as Shadowrun: Crossfire: Three scenes of obstacles that the party has to overcome.

Where Dragonfire is differing is that instead of all obstacles being differentiated as 'Easy' or 'Hard', you instead have different 'settings' for the decks: City, Wilderness, Dungeon, etc.

If we look at the evolution of Crossfire, missions like "Against the Ancients" where you create a deck out all the Elves, seem more like the experience I will expect from Dragonfire.

I don't expect a lot of scripted story telling from this. More like Crossfire with a different name for the symbols and different class mixes between the 4 spheres of damage.

On to specific speculative answers:
dzone719 wrote:
Will you be able to level up your character?

In SR:CF, successful adventures gave Karma.
Enough Karma gave the ability to purchase upgrades (stickers).
Rename Karma to XP and maybe limit certain abilities to certain classes and you'll have the ability to level up characters.

Quote:
Will there be option to continue to level up your character with more difficult expansions or do you have to pick out a new character with each expiation (like pathfinder)?

The ability certainly exists in the design, however, in SR:CF, the tweaks gained from the stickers were fairly minimal. If anything, they made it easier to take down the first round of obstacles faster (which in turn made the second and third rounds easier to handle). "More difficult" obstacles implies that the power level of the characters will get high enough to need to create a third tier of obstacle. I doubt that will be required -- if anything, we'll more have a scenario like the Dragon Scenario in SR:CF where you have a fixed "boss" to fight.

Quote:
How much story will be involved or will it be just a dry hack and slash.. For example refer to page number x section y and read to party when you defeat z.

See above for this one. For me the stories in SR:CF were how you interpreted the randomness the deck dealt to you. Nothing was scripted.

Quote:
How much character creations is there or are the characters all prerolled?

In SR:CF you had choice of Race + Class + Stickers (eventually).
There are really only four defining characteristics in a 'character'.
- Total Health (HP)
- Initial Hand Size (HP)
- Purchase Power (starting Nuyen)
These numbers always summed to 12.

Then your deck mix was defined entirely by Class choice, of which there were four (eventually six):
- Mage (blue)
- Street Sam (Black)
- Decker (Green)
- Face (Red)

The expansion introduced two Hybrid Roles, combining Black/Green and Red/Blue.

Based on the picture above, I see a premade "Dwarven Cleric". That indicates to me that even the choice of race-class is being removed in favor of cookie-cutter characters.

It does, however, introduce the option of the deck mixes being different than the standard 4-1-1-1 or 3-3-1-x as featured in SR:CF. Choose a character, take those starting cards and begin.

Quote:
How will the game reimagine walking through caverns, dungeons, forests, opps I stepped on a trap?

SR:CF has Crossfire cards, which are events that happen each 'round' of combat.
We see cards called "Encounters" in the picture. Probably the same purpose as the Crossfire cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.