Small City» Forums » General

Subject: Small City vs. Card City (or Card City XL) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably going in on the Card City XL Kickstarter, but I'm also wondering what people who have both Small City and Card City have to say about the strengths/weaknesses/differences between the two styles of game.

Any/all comments and insights would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's a tough question to answer well. The original Card City is quite literally the most basic level of Card City XL. There are 239 more involved, more interesting ways to play CCXL!

Only playtesters (and Alban himself) have played CCXL, so I can't comment on its complexity at the higher levels, but I can tell you that Small City is much more of a "gamer's game" than the original Card City. In fact, the original Card City felt like an introduction to Town Center. I'm quite excited about the new one, though. I think the complexities that it adds, and the interesting new features and balancing will make it more like — and perhaps beyond — Town Center's challenge. Well, unless you find the 3D thinking in Town Center to be the hard part; if that's the case, then even CCXL at full steam ought to be easier, because it's all 2D.

Small City, Town Center, and Card City all feature the growth and development concepts. I expect Small City to remain the most intricate, but now CCXL may fight Town Center for that middle position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Love
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with Nathan that Card City strikes me as a 2d version of Town Center, with a not dissimilar game structure.

Compared to the original Card City, Small City struck me as a quite different game experience.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I stumbled in here to the Small City forum or I would have missed the CC XL campaign.

We did the trilogy one day (Card City, Town Center and Small City). It was great, they build upon each other nicely. We thought about throwing Clinic in there too but my brain couldn't handle that mind melting game after all that.

CC is very basic but can get brain crushy towards the end when your placement is very restricted but in a good way. It plays drastically different the more players you add, and I enjoy all player count (eh maybe not solo but that's a great way to test out strategies).

But yea Small City is very much a gamers game, man I love SC. Town Center is easily my most played game, Small City is just a bit to long and meaty to hit the table a ton, but it does see the table usually once a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.