Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enemy Engangement Question [Possible Spoilers] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Gibson
Australia
Wynyard
TAS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've just completed first run through of core set campaign and I wish to query if I played a certain situation correctly.

Scenario: Part 2: The Midnight Masks

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Masked Hunter spawned on Downtown, the next encounter card drawn was "On Wings of Darkness", which then picked my investigator up and dropped at Rivertown. I ruled that The Masked Hunter, although in my threat area is now un-engaged, therefore during investigation phase I was able to move to the hospital and search for a clue. The Masked Hunter then chased me one move at a time until engaged.


Did I play this correctly?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
cyberdiscman wrote:
Did I play this correctly?


No.

Nothing removed the enemy from your threat zone. You'd have to evade them (far faster) or defeat them (tough with that particular enemy) to not take Attacks of Opportunity by moving and then investigating.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:
cyberdiscman wrote:
Did I play this correctly?


No.

Nothing removed the enemy from your threat zone. You'd have to evade them (far faster) or defeat them (tough with that particular enemy) to not take Attacks of Opportunity by moving and then investigating.



Actually, "On Wings of Darkness" auto-disengages the player from some enemies (all but Nightgaunts if I remember right) before moving the player to the center.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you played correctly. That card is occasionally a blessing in disguise.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
abredon wrote:
Gaffa wrote:
cyberdiscman wrote:
Did I play this correctly?


No.

Nothing removed the enemy from your threat zone. You'd have to evade them (far faster) or defeat them (tough with that particular enemy) to not take Attacks of Opportunity by moving and then investigating.



Actually, "On Wings of Darkness" auto-disengages the player from some enemies (all but Nightgaunts if I remember right) before moving the player to the center.


Yep, it disengages you from each "non-nightgaunt" enemy. It doesn't exhaust the Hunter because it isn't an evasion, but you definitely do leave him behind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gibson
Australia
Wynyard
TAS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
Yes, you played correctly. That card is occasionally a blessing in disguise.

bd flory wrote:

Yep, it disengages you from each "non-nightgaunt" enemy. It doesn't exhaust the Hunter because it isn't an evasion, but you definitely do leave him behind.

Thanks, it felt odd at the time but I did enjoy the dynamic.

Should the Hunter make an attack of opportunity when that encounter card was played?

Also with Hunters, I take it each enemy phase they only move one location at a time provided that location is connected and that resolves their enemy phase unless engaged (So as long as you are two movements away, the hunter cannot engage)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cyberdiscman wrote:
CSerpent wrote:
Yes, you played correctly. That card is occasionally a blessing in disguise.

bd flory wrote:

Yep, it disengages you from each "non-nightgaunt" enemy. It doesn't exhaust the Hunter because it isn't an evasion, but you definitely do leave him behind.

Thanks, it felt odd at the time but I did enjoy the dynamic.

Should the Hunter make an attack of opportunity when that encounter card was played?

No. You weren't playing the card or taking an action. It was an encounter card being resolved.

Now, if the encounter card was drawn due to an action, such as playing Drawn to the Flame, you'd have suffered an Attack of Opportunity for your action, but not because of the encounter card.

Quote:
Also with Hunters, I take it each enemy phase they only move one location at a time provided that location is connected and that resolves their enemy phase unless engaged (So as long as you are two movements away, the hunter cannot engage)?

If they are ready (not exhausted) and unengaged, they move before anything else in the enemy phase. One connected location at a time, yes. So with the two of you positioned as you were, you had several turns before he found you again.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the corrections fellow Arkhamites! Answered without checking the cards because I was in a hurry. Props to those above.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.