Subject: The Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clair B. Hurt
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking of purchasing Gloomhaven to play with my AD&D gaming group. I've watched the youtube reviews, and the game mechanics look very intriguing....so I am sold on that aspect of the game. I also really like that this game requires no DM. I am looking for comments on the Gloomhaven campaign; the ongoing aspect of the game. Is it interesting, and does it make you want to continue? Not looking for spoilers, but am keenly interested in thoughts of those of you that are playing and progressing in the game. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Jones
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is interesting enough that our group always wants to continue to a new mission right away.
With two caveats. One; we are a multilingual group so the story is being translated at least once for most players and sometimes twice. Translation quality ranges from fantastic to just adequate depending on who shows up for a play night. Two; the storytelling has limitations placed on it by the format. It an be simply described as a chose-your-own-adventure book. This means that the necessity of a page/mission break may make the story seem choppy at times. Especially when playing multiple scenarios in one sitting. We found that the story seems to flow more smoothly when you play one scenario, stop for the day, and then play the next scenario at the next play session. The formatting of the scenario conclusions and introductions seems to best support this style of play, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Most definitely yes
and
Most definitely yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another resounding yes here. There are enough plot hooks to weave a nice narrative and many decisions as to the next direction (scenario) to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli K.
msg tools
mbmb
We are 11 scenarios in and are still hooked ^^
The game feels like a well illustrated interactive story book in choose your adventure stile. Usually we play only one session per evening and get about one evening to play per week. Everytime we finish up with a city event and still have the longing for more ^^

So to anwer your question shortly: yes and yes ^^

The only drawback for us is that it can't be played with 6 players ^^ otherwise we would have another regular evening to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Avelar
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always wanted to like DnD. This card strategy and story has me so hooked. Also the retirements really make the game much better. The best part of DnD is creating the characters and that is what you feel when you retire a creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.