Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Schilling
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 1 begins on the July 6th Night I turn.

2 Heroes, Pvt Baker and LtCol O'Brien may be placed with any 105th unit in the scenario set up.

Special Rule 11. The American player may not use any Heroes before the 0700 turn.

That's 4 turns later. Is there a reason to place the Heroes in the Set Up, or should they be held in reserve until 0700?

Thanks. Loving the game so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Andrew,

glad to hear that you are enjoying the game.

You are correct - the heroes can't be used until 0700hrs. We had them arrive at the start because some play testers would forget about them. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Andrew! Also glad over here you're having fun. Post a pic or two if you can so Ross and I can see our baby in action. It should be a pretty tense situation for the Marines in this scenario.

Just to follow up on Ross - you need to place O'Brien and Baker at the start as they are always going around with Unit (like support weapons) and not just available to be used. They may not be where you'd like them when you'd like them. So they really should be in the setup.

Salomon isn't available until the 0700 turn and it would be clearer to have him in the 0700 reinforcements but we wanted to see some late playtesting to decide what time to use him - and rather than redo the graphic and delay things, we just added him to the at-start guys and added the special rule when we firmed up the timing.

Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schilling
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Adam & Ross

Thank you for your replies!

OK. I want to see if I have this right.

Hex 49.14 is occupied by US companies E/2/105 & F/2/105. The only set up hex not in a foxhole. I support the companies with a HMG and LtCol O'Brien. I place one of the two available illumination markers in hex 50.14.

I have Japanese units (1/1/118, 2/1/118 + Cpt. Imezu) starting in hex 51.13.

They move first to hex 50.14, they're illuminated.

They charge into hex 49.14. The opportunity fire value would be:
4 (for one company) + 0 (for Japanese defense value) + 3 (for the HMG + LtCol O'Brien) + 1 (for the additional company) +3 (for the Gyokusai). A small arms total of 11.

On a roll of 0,2,3,4,5,6. Cpt. Imezu is flipped, and 1 company is eliminated.
On a roll of 1: No effect.
On a roll of 7 & 8: The charge is completely eliminated.
On a roll of 9: Always a miss, plus the HMG 'breaks' and gets reallocated.

If Pvt. Baker had been in hex 49.14 instead of LtCol. Baker he would be removed after the opportunity fire because his hero effect is a one time deal. But O'Brien would stay.

Regarding the HMG. Do I have to declare sustained fire? Or this automatic? Which would 'break' the HMG on a roll of 7 or more.

Am I right that on night turns the US can only opportunity fire on illuminated hexes?

In the Night Rules Section 17.0, the Japanese may perform Infiltration (see 8.6).

Reading the 8.6 Opportunity Fire rule I don't see anything regarding Japanese Infiltration. Japanese Infiltration is rule 6.1.3. So unless the Japanese are in an illuminated hex, there's NO US opportunity fire.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hello Andrew,

Hex 49.14 is occupied by US companies E/2/105 & F/2/105. The only set up hex not in a foxhole. I support the companies with a HMG and LtCol O'Brien. I place one of the two available illumination markers in hex 50.14.
I have Japanese units (1/1/118, 2/1/118 + Cpt. Imezu) starting in hex 51.13.
They move first to hex 50.14, they're illuminated.

They charge into hex 49.14. The opportunity fire value would be:
4 (for one company) + 0 (for Japanese defense value) + 3 (for the HMG + LtCol O'Brien) + 1 (for the additional company) +3 (for the Gyokusai). A small arms total of 11.
looks good so far

On a roll of 0,2,3,4,5,6. Cpt. Imezu is flipped, and 1 company is eliminated.
On a roll of 1: No effect.
On a roll of 7 & 8: The charge is completely eliminated.
On a roll of 9: Always a miss, plus the HMG 'breaks' and gets reallocated.
Actually you would have :

1 - No effect (Japanese units are immune to Rout checks under a Banzai or Gyokusai Marker)

0,2,3 - Cpt Imezu is flipped, and no companies are lost (1DG rounded down because of the leader)

4,5,6,7 - Cpt. Imezu is flipped, and 1 company is eliminated. (2 or 3 DG halved and rounded down)

8 - The charge is completely eliminated (4 DG halved to 2)

9 - Always a miss, plus the HMG 'breaks' and gets reallocated.

If Pvt. Baker had been in hex 49.14 instead of LtCol. Baker he would be removed after the opportunity fire because his hero effect is a one time deal. But O'Brien would stay.
correct

Regarding the HMG. Do I have to declare sustained fire? Or this automatic? Which would 'break' the HMG on a roll of 7 or more.
The first time that the stack fires and uses the HMG SW you would place a Sustained Fire Marker on the stack. If the American units were also being assaulted from one, or more, different hexes they could continue to fire using the HMG but if a 7 or higher is rolled on any of these additional shots the gun will break and is placed in the Reallocated Box on the Divisional Display

Am I right that on night turns the US can only opportunity fire on illuminated hexes?
That is correct but they can fire on assaulting Japanese units (With a -2 modifier if the hex the Japanese are leaving is not illuminated).

Actually this is not very clear in the rules - I will add a clarification

In the Night Rules Section 17.0, the Japanese may perform Infiltration (see 8.6).

Reading the 8.6 Opportunity Fire rule I don't see anything regarding Japanese Infiltration. Japanese Infiltration is rule 6.1.3. So unless the Japanese are in an illuminated hex, there's NO US opportunity fire.
See above

Hope this help - give me a shout if it didn't

cheers

Ross
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Oh and I should mention that in that scenario you aren't allowed to use heroes until the 0700hr turn - special rule 11.

So no Pvt Baker just yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
One more thing

The roll of eight eliminates the charge because:

The leader is flipped to his replacement side.
4 DG is halved to 2 and both companies are eliminated.
The Japanese leader is now alone in the hex and is eliminated unless he can move (and trace a path)to other units he commands.

Just wanted to clarify.

Ross
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saunders
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infiltration is covered in rule section 6.1.3, not 8.6 the rulebook is incorrect.

Would be good to see the removal opp fire counters moved from the rally section to the opp fire section. Took me a while to find both of these rules in the current rule book.

Cheers

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.