Adrian Besaw
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
So c-c-c-c-old!
mbmbmbmb
I was excited when Empires of the Void II was announced. I'd been looking for a shorter space 4X style game for a while now. Then I saw what it had become. Not for me! I'm sure some were excited, it might even be fun to play but it was not what I was looking for.

A Handful of Stars on the other hand seems to fit the bill. It also helps that I've always wanted to play A Few Acres. Production wise the art is beautiful though I'm not excited about the wooden pieces representing ships and the base. I'd rather have miniatures. And yes that dreaded price tag. $100 in Canada. I'm waiting for now...I did go in on the second printing of Gloomhaven. We'll see perhaps I'll bite the bullet...or laser in this case and pre-order. Though it would be nice to see a preview video...cheers from the Great White North.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its hrd to compre this (or Mythotopia) to A Few Acres of Snow though. It has some similarities, but the things I absolutely love in A Few Acres of Snow are not in either of the sibling-games.

So Im sure this will be good, but I suggest A Few Acres of Snow anyway, at least for the focused 2-player experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Espada
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Its hrd to compre this (or Mythotopia) to A Few Acres of Snow though. It has some similarities, but the things I absolutely love in A Few Acres of Snow are not in either of the sibling-games.

And the things you love about AFAOS that are not present in Mythotopia are?...

--
David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davinci wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

And the things you love about AFAOS that are not present in Mythotopia are?...

--
David

I love the supply lines the most (the fact that you are limited even if you own a territory, if it is cut off from main supply lines) and I love the indian raids as well. It creates for a more interesting board than 'move there, control this area, get this card'.

In fact I wish more area control games (that are not pure war games) had supply lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:

In fact I wish more area control games (that are not pure war games) had supply lines.

Clockwork Wars pulls it off elegantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:

The Quartermaster General games are all about supply lines, though they might lean too far on the wargame side for your taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably pushing the boundary of war/strategy game - Conquest of Paradise does a great job with the transport chains. They provide scoring and movement bonuses and become a big target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.