Hide
5 Posts

Cthulhu: A Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Read the Rulebook and judge for yourself. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
r ki
msg tools
I just purchased this game at my FLGS. I read the rules, the investigator cards, the Elder God cards, and the Library cards. I haven't played yet, so I have not read the Minion nor Mythos cards.

In my opinion, the rulebook is fine. Check it out for yourself online at the publisher's website. Judge for yourself if all the issues concerning the rulebook are completely justified. I also believe that the cards I have read to be mostly understandable ... although the Professor having 40 health and 20 sanity is "interesting".

I am pleased with my purchase and wanted to provide a post about my positive experience with this game so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish the rulebook was posted here on BGG so I could easily read it for myself. shake

Digging up a link...publisher is...Wyvern Gaming...fire up duckduckgo and search...http://wyverngaming.com/ ...now searching the site...Games...Cthulhu...scroll down to "download". Sweet. Here's the link: http://www.wyverngaming.com/res/pdf/InstructionJournal.pdf

Poor choice of text font/color...difficult to read. Otherwise, glancing through the rules, they don't look terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Demetrio B
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i absolutely agree kuraj, the rules are readable and the game fully playable, i really enjoy it as a solo and 2 player game.

The only thing i wish is the support and active engagement of the creators here in the forums (a FAQ would be cool or a player aid).

The game has some really interesting ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuraj wrote:
I just purchased this game at my FLGS. I read the rules, the investigator cards, the Elder God cards, and the Library cards. I haven't played yet, so I have not read the Minion nor Mythos cards.

In my opinion, the rulebook is fine. Check it out for yourself online at the publisher's website. Judge for yourself if all the issues concerning the rulebook are completely justified. I also believe that the cards I have read to be mostly understandable ... although the Professor having 40 health and 20 sanity is "interesting".

I am pleased with my purchase and wanted to provide a post about my positive experience with this game so far.

Having not played the game to actually see how it all comes together, your opinion on whether the rulebook is fine doesn't amount to much past whether the typeset is legible. Having played the game since it came out, and being experienced with rulebooks far more complex than this one, I can say unequivocally that this one falls short- not in its clarity of turn order or game progress, but for situations that arise which are not properly covered. The cards don't help matters, as there are a huge number that leave room for interpretation. The card errata they've released is evidence of that and it doesn't even scratch the surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r ki
msg tools
I based my original opinion of the rulebook on the following:

I was able to understand how to set up the game and how to perform the planning phase, then the combat phase. (I do not need to play a game to judge whether or not the rules stated in the rulebook are steps that I can follow as the designer intends).

In most games, the text on a card supersedes the rules in the rulebook. Perhaps some of the cards in this game require more careful phrasing, but that is an issue for the cards and not necessarily the rulebook.

I have played the game. I have not run into a combination of cards that confused me; maybe I am just lucky. My opinion of the rulebook remains the same.

And now my opinion should amount to something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.