Popular Tags: [View All]
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am using the QBII box rules.

What happens to cavalry which starts its turn in a woods hex with no LOS to the target it intends to charge? The example which has cropped up in our game has a cav unit moving through two woods hexes before emerging into a clear hex to be adjacent to the target.

So the cav has moved 3 hexes, 2 through woods hexes and the third into a clear hex.

From what I can read in the rules, nothing stops cav doing that. It changes back from General Order to Column for the final hex, and has moved 3 hexes so avoids the short charge penalty. It feels a bit strange that cav avoids the short charge penalty when two of the hexes were through woods.

Am I missing something here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
18.7 D states that cavalry in General Order may not Charge. Therefore, you cannot initiate a Charge (or Initiate Melee) while in a Woods hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Paul,

What happens in hex 3, when the cav moves out of the woods into column and are then adjacent to the infantry. Can they initiate a short (very short) charge? In other words, can the melee as they emerge from the woods into the clear hex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, once the cavalry reaches the clear hex, they could initiate their charge from that hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, see 18.5.E in the box rules... "These three hexes must be clear terrain and the impact hex must also be clear terrain."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.