3 Posts

Evolution: The Beginning» Forums » General

Subject: What makes this better at 2 player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the promotional materials suggest that this version is best at 2 players. I have played Evolution:Climate, so I know the rules of the standard Evolution, what changes here make it better at 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my opinion but with the mechanics streamlined the beginning causes you to play the other player a little more and the "game" less. I'm switching out traits more here than the original adapting to the other player rather than advancing a body size, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution: The Beginning is most strategic at 2-players. This has nothing to do with CLIMATE. CLIMATE is also good at 2-players.

The Beginning is most strategic at 2-players for these reasons:
1) The game lasts more rounds (10 - 12 rounds), so you can wait to play your cards at the right time. By contrast, a 5 player game lasts 4 - 5 rounds.

2) It is more predictable. There are less changes to the board state in-between your turns, and your opponents will never have to choose between two different players to attack: they will always attack you! This means you cannot get ganged up on by accident or on purpose.

The Beginning is also portable (a deck of cards and some food tokens) and plays in 30 - 40 minutes making it a perfect game to play with your spouse or close friend during downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.