12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: "1-vs-Others" Category/Mechanisms tag rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Ramos
Australia
flag msg tools
With the games that fit into this genre seemingly increasing in numbers and popularity (with Imperial Assault, Rise of Moloch, and even Ghost Stories: Black Secret as a few examples) it's a bit surprising that there doesn't seem to be a tag for the 1-vs-Others type of games to help people search for them. Unless I've just plain missed it, may I suggest adding this? The rest of us can then go in and add it to the appropriate games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
The usual procedure is to start up a geeklist and see if you can get at least 50 games using the mechanism.

In this case, the Partnerships mechanism seems to cover it already, with Fury of Dracula being given as an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
The usual procedure is to start up a geeklist and see if you can get at least 50 games using the mechanism.

In this case, the Partnerships mechanism seems to cover it already, with Fury of Dracula being given as an example.

Except that using the Partnerships tag is not very helpful when trying to seek out 1 vs many games since there are so many more 2v2 and team vs team based games that are in fact an entirely different dynamic than 1 vs many experientially.

That Tichu, Codenames, Word on the Street and Bridge are currently lumped together with Descent, Imperial Assault, and Mansions of Madness is a clear enough illustration of why a separate category for the many Overlord / DM / 1vAll games would be of great benefit to the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Shadows over Camelot has a traitor mechanism so that would be 1 vs. the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can also think of several.

Dead of Winter and Long Night
Betrayal at house on the Hill
Doom
Pandemic On the Brink / when using the bio-terrorist

Seems like we need a geeklist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Historically I believe the movement to create a category or mechanism for traitor games based around the deduction aspect has been more prominent, so they might be miffed if one were finally added based around the "one team is nominally limited to one member" aspect, so that only a subset of hidden teams games were to qualify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Ramos
Australia
flag msg tools
I can see the need to make a distinction between Overlord/DM games and Traitor games - they are quite different mechanisms - and I think it's fairly meritorious to have both subsets be easily searchable. I assume, though, that there is already a Traitor geeklist out there, so starting up a separate Overlord/DM list looks to be the next step here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This geeklist is a good resource:
come-me-bros-list-one-vs-all-games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Ramos
Australia
flag msg tools
That geeklist is an excellent starting point. There's a couple of titles missing from it, though, and the author seems to have stopped updating it. I could start a new one, incorporating the Come at me Bros list and giving the author due credit, just not sure what the ethics of that is.

But with that list and the few missing additions, we definitely hit 50 games. How does that then lead into getting a category/mechanisms tag made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheAlopex wrote:
That geeklist is an excellent starting point. There's a couple of titles missing from it, though, and the author seems to have stopped updating it. I could start a new one, incorporating the Come at me Bros list and giving the author due credit, just not sure what the ethics of that is.
You could just Geekmail him, and ask him what he thinks of your plan. I did that with a photo of a game box layout once: someone else had taken a photo of how everything went back in the box, and I played with the colors to make it less toner-use-intensive and asked him if I could repost it to his credit. He was cool with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I came here to suggest a hidden traitor / hidden allegiance mechanism both seem to fit in the same category but are still unique enough.

Partnerships seem to fit better with team based games or one vs many than games where everyone is seemingly all on the same team but secretly not.

Ideally what I'm looking to do is build a filter for cooperative games that are purely cooperative vs. cooperative but having some hidden traitor aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Agoura Hills
Select state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:

Yeah thats a misnomer. Fury of Dracula doesnt have teams (plural), its a single team vs an individual. 3 on 1 games dont involve partnerships (plural), they involve a partnership (singular).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.