John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if anything has replaced this for you, when primarily playing with two.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
John, we only play with 2 and nothing has replaced it for us/ That rotating sun dial is very cool and you really have to plan ahead for that or you get hosed.

The components are great. And I don't think I've ever played a more thematic game. I'll never get rid of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Northwest Passage because it plays more than two. For a two player game, where you lay tiles on a common board to optimize your own route without giving your opponent advantages, Akrotiri might be an option?

Besides Akrotiri, I haven't seen any other game like Northwest Passage and won't get rid of it either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard (personally unverified) rumours that the 2p game is much improved by adding the following new action:

At any time, you can draw AND immediately place the leftmost large Exploration tile on the board. This action requires 1 Crewman.
Slide the other tiles to the left and draw a new tile for the empty rightmost spot.
You can draw and place the other tiles normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
hanibalicious wrote:
I have heard (personally unverified) rumours that the 2p game is much improved by adding the following new action:

At any time, you can draw AND immediately place the leftmost large Exploration tile on the board. This action requires 1 Crewman.
Slide the other tiles to the left and draw a new tile for the empty rightmost spot.

This has always been the rule for solo play (although, I think you mean take and immediately place, not draw and immediately place?) I have not heard of using this for 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
hanibalicious wrote:

This has always been the rule for solo play (although, I think you mean take and immediately place, not draw and immediately place?) I have not heard of using this for 2 player.

Take and draw mean the same thing. And yes, I heard that someone applied the solo rule to the 2p game (to build more of the map).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
(I've tried it 2p with the solo rule. It improved the sense of (entirely subjectively, I've not done anything like a formal ply analysis) having interesting choices: I'd likely recommend playing that way in future. It's certainly worth a try!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:
(I've tried it 2p with the solo rule. It improved the sense of (entirely subjectively, I've not done anything like a formal ply analysis) having interesting choices: I'd likely recommend playing that way in future. It's certainly worth a try!)

Was it you I was remembering?

Edit: How would you know that? What a ridiculous question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played the solo game, both variants, multiple times each. It struck me that this would improve the 2p game. I haven't tried it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:

This seems worth a try in a 2p game.

Although, I'm just wondering whether the cost of only 1 Crewman makes it too cheap? To do those two actions in one turn would normally cost 3 Crewman; maybe a cost of 2 Crewman is more balanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Although, I'm just wondering whether the cost of only 1 Crewman makes it too cheap? To do those two actions in one turn would normally cost 3 Crewman; maybe a cost of 2 Crewman is more balanced?

It may be. The reason for it in the 1p game has to do with scoring.

In the first variant, you lose 1 point for every empty square at the end of the game. You are thus incentivized to do as much exploration as possible and fill in the map as much as possible. So the more you can look ahead multiple moves and see how to chain a series of tile placements, which is hard, the better your score.

In the second variant, you only lose 1/2 a point for empty squares on the map, so it doesn't feel as punishing. But you still have the same incentive, and you can score points for set collection, which further incentives you to look ahead and see how the exploration might proceed.

In a 2p game you don't have the same incentive for exploring, so the cost/benefit calculus of this will be different. I haven't played it that way yet so I can't say. For me, this game has either been a solo game, or a 4p game where I'm teaching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
If only my wife enjoyed this game as much as I do. I'll never part with it, as I quite enjoy it at any player count (including solo). And I can't think of anything I've ever played that feels like this game. It's certainly unique and absolutely solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Don't like the game with only two players. With three it is still great and hasn't been replaced.

For a tile placement game that works great with two players, I'd definitely go with Glen More. But if you're looking for the exploration bit, I'd go with Akrotiri for two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.