32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Printed rules version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
How do I tell the version that came with the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a number series on the cover. Compare with the latest online version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
marcuslind1 wrote:
There is a number series on the cover. Compare with the latest online version

Not on my paper rulebook. I have several PDFs of the rules with version numbers on the cover (which don't always agree with the version number in the file name...), but my paper rulebook has no version info on its cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the back, at the bottom, there is a number series. It's not the same as version number, but I believe it's different for different versions. Mine says 419-307-6531.

EDIT: turns out this is actually a phone number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, at least I guess higher numbers mean later versions. I might be wrong though.

EDIT: super wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine has a version numbe (v25) barely visible, on the front cover under the Academy Games logo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
marcuslind1 wrote:
At the back, at the bottom, there is a number series. It's not the same as version number, but I believe it's different for different versions. Mine says 419-307-6531.

I'm not sure if you're joking or serious, but 419-307-6531 is the telephone number of Academy Games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
marcuslind1 wrote:

I'm not sure if you're joking or serious, but 419-307-6531 is the telephone number of Academy Games...

Haha, I honestly had no idea. I'm really sorry for confusing people. I'm not familiar with how american phone numbers are written. I thought it was an article number of some kind. Thank you, now i know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
The latest PDF core rules file name has v25, but if you look at the first page in the pdf it shows v24.

When I get home, I'll need to look at printed version. Hopefully it show something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed version with second edition shows NO watermark for the version number (below the Academy Games logo on the front cover).

The latest PDF (just downloaded) is titled v25, but as noted, the watermark below the logo is v24.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
klkitchens wrote:
Printed version with second edition shows NO watermark for the version number (below the Academy Games logo on the front cover).

So, there is no way to tell the version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
DragonShifu wrote:

AFAIK you can only tell the year of copyright on the printed rulebook. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonShifu wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

I would assume it's the original version if it's not marked.

The revisions came after the last full printing. It's doubtful they would do a special printing of the updated rules to insert inside the copies already printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:

But AFAIK there is not a single "original version", but several different printed versions exist.

E.g. my printed rules have nothing about artillery scatter, which caused me some confusion in some old rule thread since (IIRC) some other people's printed rules have artillery scatter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

But AFAIK there is not a single "original version", but several different printed versions exist.

E.g. my printed rules have nothing about artillery scatter, which caused me some confusion in some old rule thread since (IIRC) some other people's printed rules have artillery scatter.

I would be very shocked to see a true printed version of the CoH: ATB (2nd Edition) rules that was different. Not saying it's not out there, but would be shocked if they included new ones for this specific game.

One thing they did mega fail on is the renumbering of sections. I see in the PDF that the same section number for Artillery is not the same as the printed book. That's very bad. They should have inserted new items, reworked sections, but kept the numbers the same so that we're all on the same page (er... section) for discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Indeed version control and communication about versions is not Academy's strong point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
russ wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

I would be very shocked to see a true printed version of the CoH: ATB (2nd Edition) rules that was different. Not saying it's not out there, but would be shocked if they included new ones for this specific game.

One thing they did mega fail on is the renumbering of sections. I see in the PDF that the same section number for Artillery is not the same as the printed book. That's very bad. They should have inserted new items, reworked sections, but kept the numbers the same so that we're all on the same page (er... section) for discussion.

They have also added more Firefights in later versions of the Firefight book. The problem is they have inserted new FFs in amongst the old FFs which has caused the same FFs to have a different number in different versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? They have added new FFs to the original AtB2 FF book? That's news to me. Which FFs are new in updates to AtB2?

They may have added new FFs to the AtB version 1 book, but comparing AtB1 and AtB2 is not what this thread is about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I can confirm that my printed rulebook DOES HAVE the "v25" watermark at the front. That seems to me that the online PDF is the old version...strange.

Note that I bought the game last week.

Edit: Printed Firefight book shows "v09".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
Really? They have added new FFs to the original AtB2 FF book? That's news to me. Which FFs are new in updates to AtB2?

They may have added new FFs to the AtB version 1 book, but comparing AtB1 and AtB2 is not what this thread is about.

Jeez, really Lewis. Stop with the condescending attitude, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was not intended to convey anything other than surprise and a correction to provide complete information.

I really don't know what the reference to new FFs is about, but if there are new ones, I would like to know (as I am sure others would too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
russ wrote:
Indeed version control and communication about versions is not Academy's strong point...

Yeah, no kidding. This is all very confusing. I bought CoH:AtB in 2016 and found the (hidden) version number on the cover of my rulebook but now I'm trying to figure out what the latest version of the playaid/summary sheet is ...

The one that came with my game has no version number but the copyright notice says 2012-2016, so that's an indication BUT it looks different than the "latest version" (2.2) posted on the Academy download site (the right column on the "summary sheet" side of the page is different).

It's even more confusing with the playaid for the solo expansion, mine is Version 15 while the latest on the website is Version 14.

This shouldn't be that difficult

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ChuckB2011 wrote:
The one that came with my game has no version number but the copyright notice says 2012-2016, so that's an indication BUT it looks different than the "latest version" (2.2) posted on the Academy download site (the right column on the "summary sheet" side of the page is different).

And all of my game's documents have copyright years earlier than 2016 (and all different from each other):
Rulebook = 2012-2014 (with no visible version number like the PDFs have)
Firefight book = 2012
Summary sheet = 2014
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This versioning issue has never bothered me. I assume the rules in the AtB2 box are the originals or at least not necessarily up-to-date. The latest rules, FF book etc are downloadable from the web site.

However, if for whatever reason you can't download the latest, any rule changes to date are largely irrelevant so I play with which ever rule book I have on hand. (e.g., pay extra 2 AP to fire tank out of arc of fire or 1 AP not a big deal to me, but I can remember that.)

If I recall correctly, any issues in the FF book I think are largely discernible by examining the set-up map vs the unit listing, the map always being correct. In any case, I check the printed FF book against the latest and correct the printed copy if necessary. And I have made notations as new info comes to light.

I know this isn't very helpful to anyone, but a relaxed attitude sure keeps the angst and the blood pressure down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is something that might help.

The original AtB2 rule book has a section 20.2 called Solitaire Play. Not sure what version that was but it has the date June 26, 2012 on the front page and no version number.

Version 25 of the rule book (the only other version I have downloaded) no longer includes the Solitaire Play section and has been replaced by 20.2 Solo Expansion.

I'm not sure if any intervening version exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.