BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Creating paste ups to sell rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Goodwrong
Slovenia
flag msg tools
Hello everyone!

Recently I have been very interested in the board game world, watching tons of playthrough videos, buying games, teaching games to new players and so on. And even though I'm not as hardcore as many people here, I can still say that I love board games and would like to make them a bigger part of my life.

So I started thinking how to convert this hobby into a business idea. I came up with something, but would like to ask the opinion of the community here first.

I am a translator and I come from a small country, Slovenia. Our people like to play board games, however because of the small market very few games get translated and published in Slovenian. I believe the heaviest translated game is the Catan series. So I started thinking about translating popular games myself (mostly games with cards that include a lot of text), and offering the translations in the form of transparent adhesive PASTE UPS or even have them printed directly on CARD SLEEVES. In this way many more games would be available to Slovenian players in a much shorter time. I have already done much thinking and found many difficulties with the idea, but would still like give it a go.

I would like to ask the people here:
1. Do you think it's a good idea? Do you think people would buy a product like that? (the price would have to be low, maybe 10% of the game price)
2. Is this legal or does it infringe some copyright? (people would still need to buy the game to be able to use the product, so this is good for board game sales anyway)

Please let me know any thoughts that you might have. I really hope I can turn this idea into a reality and help more people get access to all the wonderful board games out there. And if this works in my language, I could even try expanding into other languages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrgoodwrong wrote:

2. Is this legal or does it infringe some copyright? (people would still need to buy the game to be able to use the product, so this is good for board game sales anyway)

It is in fact the textbook definition of copyright infringement my friend. You simply cannot transltae in any form withou the express consent of the owners.

A Gray area are the free pastups I find here on BGG. They are illegal in any way or form, but since they are free many turn a blind eye on.

I'm sorry, but the correct way to make this work is that you create the project with numbers and a business plan and then contact the editors offering a partnership. As you say those are possible sales, so they might be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea. It seems innovative and a solution to a problem. I do not have answers for you, but I do have some thoughts.

I have seen some people do something similar for errata cards. Maybe it could help you.

1. One way is to reprint the cards with new text onto labels and stick them to the original cards. This allows for keeping art work, but takes time (plus you would need permission from the IP owner).

2. Another thing I have seen is to print the errata onto paper and slip that into a sleeve in front of the card. Similar to number 1 above, but no permanent fix to the cards.

3. Others write on sleeves. A bit messier since the sleeve is transparent.

4. I have also heard of people putting a mark on a card (or sleeve) to denote that there is a change, then look it up in a document. This will obviously not be good for a translation.

If there was a simple way to print to sleeves, maybe it would be good to post files of the translation. White will give you problems in that case.

Some people will want to sleeve a sleeve with printing on it.

I am not a lawyer, but I suspect you would need permission from the original game owner for any full translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were doing at as a service to your local community - even if you were selling it for modest sums just to recoup costs - I would say "go ahead" and don't worry about the copyright police. The copyright owners should be able to be happy with the fact that they are selling MORE copies because of your endeavours.

If you are doing on a commercial basis - no, I'm afraid it might be too risky as you will be treading on someone's toes for sure.

Less-spoken language-speakers* do have a raw deal, but it's likely someone has the rights to distribute in your language evin your country, even if they don't actually produce any copies.

I would imagine it is also not a viable business - if it were, someone would have done it (ie the rights holders) - and those someones would probably have greater economies of scale.

* and often UK speakers of English who want Mayfair and Zman games and especially promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Goodwrong
Slovenia
flag msg tools
Thank you guys for the input, I'm really happy I asked here before doing anything else. So I guess it's back to the drawing board, but I might contact one of the board game publishers just in case and ask about this situation, if they might agree, costs etc. Their answer would give me more information as to continue with this idea or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Each company is different, some will be happy to let you translate their game. Like you said it is not affecting sales and may even create new sales. Some will jump on you from a great height for the very thought. As the first poster noted it isn't legal without their permission even if you give them away at a loss to yourself and no money exchanges hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.