12 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: How long will I take to retire my character ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W Wharton
msg tools
mb
How far in to the game will I normally get before retiring? (In hours)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WHW14 wrote:

I haven't played anything more than the KS campaign, but from what I've read, it can vary immensely between which personal goal you take, as well as which class you use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
WHW14 wrote:

I haven't played anything more than the KS campaign, but from what I've read, it can vary immensely between which personal goal you take, as well as which class you use.

Not only that, but which missions you choose to pursue. Greatly variable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like it takes between 10 and 20 completed scenarios to complete a personal goal. So depending on how quickly you play each scenario, it would take around 20-60 hours of play time roughly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stormzbowler wrote:
It seems like it takes between 10 and 20 completed scenarios to complete a personal goal. So depending on how quickly you play each scenario, it would take around 20-60 hours of play time roughly.

That seems about right-- our CH could have retired in 9 or 10 scenarios, but we took a different path, b/c it seemed too soon. I'm far from retirement, and our SC can retire around 15 scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Due to my personal goal it took me 21 scenarios to retire my first character. And since a full game with setup, city and road events, tear down and what not takes usually at least 3 hours for our gaming group, I would say it took me more like 60-80 hours.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I had to complete 4 scenarios inside the Dagger Forest, but since we haven't found any road signs, we just had to continue playing until we finally got there.

Another one of our group retired after 8 scenarios, but that was because we actually saw a road sign early on and decided to follow it.
She had to kill 2 of each demon and since we met a couple of them early on, we decided to hunt them down.
This obviously increased the time every other player needed to retire their character, but it wasn't a huge problem for us. She only got to level 2 while the rest of us got to play with level 8 ability cards eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
On the bottom end I saw one character retire in three scenarios, and on the top one character lasted almost thirty. These were definitely exceptions, though; 10 to 20 is pretty accurate overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Wharton
msg tools
mb
Thanks every one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Stringfellow
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also found retirements got quicker as the campaign went on as you had more options. Which works nicely as you tend to figure out the classes quicker as you get better at the game. Also helps keep the game fresher as you get further in the campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
I've decided to retire my character although I have no completed my personal quest. I'm not even at 50% of the requirement and I have no idea how many sessions I'll need to complete it.

My character is a level 9 Tinkerer and I want some change.
I don’t really want to play a level 9 character more than a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tsang
United Kingdom
Claverton, Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends a LOT on character, goal, and mission combinations. In terms of mission/enemy specific goals, if the group guesses what your goal is, it is relatively straightforward to choose missions that are most likely to benefit your personal goal.

For instance, on my Spellweaver I chose a goal that was
kill 20 elites
which was relatively simple for a damage dealing class.

Because I didn't get to play the character for as long as I wanted to, in the end, on my new
two mini class
character I took
Obtain a certain number of enchantments
which should take a much longer time since this character
only picks up a few loot tiles per scenario at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
When your character retires, he'll finally has time to play this game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.