1846: The Race for the Midwest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Upgrading tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrique Trigueros García
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
A NYC train runs a route from Erie to Columbus, where the route intends to continue west. In Dayton there is a yellow tile with lanes running south, toward Huntigton, and westward toward Indianapolis and Terre Haute. But, at this time, the two Dayton and Columbus yellow tiles are not connected by one route, so NYC must finish its route in Columbus and not in Terre Haute. Can NYC improve the Yellow Dayton tile also being adjacent?
The doubt is because there is no connection BEFORE the improvement of the tile, but thereafter.
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I quite follow without a picture but I'll take a stab at it.

Dayton is a yellow tile, with exits W and SE.
Columbus is a yellow tile, with exits NE and... unspecified.

If NYC can reach Columbus and Columbus has a WEST exit, then they can improve Dayton. It would extend the existing track. IIRC, the requirement for upgrading track is that your company must be able to reach at least one piece of the newly laid track on an upgrade (and you must preserve all existing track).

If Columbus does NOT have a West exit, the NYC could not improve Dayton under your scenario, unless NYC had a token and continuous track that could reach Dayton from the west.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can upgrade a tile even if you can only trace a route to track on it after the upgrade has been placed.

For an illustrated example, see the bottom of page 8 of the GMT rules. Note that the NYC lays a gentle curve to connect Cleveland to the edge of Toledo, then upgrades Toledo.

Note: the Lake Shore Line's ability still requires that the upgrade is connected to the company using the ability. So, in the example, the LSL is only relevant inasmuch as the Toledo upgrade is free (i.e. $0), and (since so far the NYC had only done one lay) it still has the option to lay a second tile or upgrade a tile (which it uses to upgrade Detroit).

[Edited to strike out incorrect bits, per Eric's correction]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with most of Nikolas's statement, but you do not need a connection to Cleveland or Toledo to use the LSL's ability.

On p.12 of the GMT rule book it says about the set of privates to which LSL belongs:

Quote:
After being purchased by a corporation, these companies' abilities may be used at any time while its owning corporation operates, without needing a connection from one of its tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I agree with most of Nikolas's statement, but you do not need a connection to Cleveland or Toledo to use the LSL's ability.
Thanks. That's what I thought. When I went to check, I missed that bit.

Hm, I suspect that's due to the incongruous layout. The Big 4 and Michigan Southern is the only other set with a statement about multiple privates, and they are named (like the rest of the page). To be fair, listing four private names probably wouldn't be legible either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Trigueros García
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Indeed, in Columbus there is exit NE and exit W, towards Dayton. But in Dayton there is no road, with the yellow tile, toward Columbus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
queroscia wrote:
Indeed, in Columbus there is exit NE and exit W, towards Dayton. But in Dayton there is no road, with the yellow tile, toward Columbus.

Then, as the others are saying, the NYC may upgrade Dayton to connect east to meet the Columbus track, as some of the new track on the upgraded Dayton tile is then connected to one of the NYC's tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Trigueros García
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
queroscia wrote:

Then, as the others are saying, the NYC may upgrade Dayton to connect east to meet the Columbus track, as some of the new track on the upgraded Dayton tile is then connected to one of the NYC's tokens.

Thank you so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.