United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to let you all know I was, for various reasons, inspired to come up with a Cold War variant for QMG. It's not theoretically the most important thing I need to do, but typically I have to do something when I feel like I've got it really worked out, since playtesting takes a long time (calendar wise). Yes, I'm still working on the 30 YW, and SHAEF (more on this soon, really close to finished), and a couple other projects - people seem to be very keen for me to produce a Napoleonic version.)

This weekend I have a public playtest in Schenectady and hope to get down to Westchester soon. So in case you saw this, and as a means to solicit some input on the subject, I present this rather rambly post.

Here's where this game stands as of now.

Quartermaster General: The Cold War
Expansion for Quartermaster General (Uses the same map)
Comes with 216 Cards (213 game cards, 3 player aids).
There will provide additional Armies, Navies, and Air Forces. (The expansion will not require Air Marshal - sufficient Air Forces will be provided).

3 Players
Soviet Bloc
Western Bloc
Non-Aligned Bloc

I wanted to make sure I stayed away from the Twilight Struggle realm since that game already does what it does very well. I also had some "nostalgia" for games like SPI's The Next War, or GDW's Third World War, and other games of the ilk. But without the presumption of war up front (these games are artifacts of when they were published), but with hot war very (and more than likely) possible. Why more than likely, is to make more of a wargame out of it...

There are no teams in the game. But as I'm discovering, much to my delight, is that two players are constantly trying to knock down the third. I think the real question for me is if the generally tricky "kingmaker" game mechanic is one people will like. It's a 3 way wargame with one winner, so it's built in a bit. (I think I've come up with some ways to mitigate the downside.)

So I think in terms of play experience, the single winner will probably be the biggest change, but being that the system is basically the same, combined actions by two players against the third are very important.

The WMD card type and subsystem is probably the biggest change, and I describe it further below.

Big changes from QMG
- no teams
- Enemy pieces may occupy the same space - battles only occur between armies or navies occupying the same space.
- an out of supply piece may be placed in supply by discarding a card
- Some changes to scoring
- Air Forces can defend adjacent spaces (and I'm still working through some other thoughts on making the air game more elastic)
- no Response Cards, no Bolster Cards
- Supply is traced a bit differently, and a piece can be placed back in supply by expending a card
- New card type: Espionage
Once played face down on the table, Espionage cards will work the same as Response cards, but with the difference that there will be a separate Espionage step, after the Victory Step, when Espionage cards can be prepared, and preparing one costs a card. A big difference is that you can't prepare an espionage card during your play step.
- New card type: WMD
WMD cards are played to the table face up, but discarded after one use. So a cross between response and status. No point in having a big bomb and not telling others about it, right. There a VP penalties for using a WMD, but these VP penalties are reduced by cards in your escalation stack. Basically, when an opponent attacks you with a battle card, or uses most WMDs, or certain espionage cards, one or more symbols are added to the escalation stack. So for example, the card

Tsar Bomba (WMD cost 11)
Use at the beginning of your turn. Discard an enemy WMD or Status card from the table, or force one enemy to lose 9 VPs.
3 Escalation Symbols

So basically, if a player wants to drop this on someone out of the blue, you'll take an 11 point hit and they'll take a 9 point hit. Furthermore, you'll be providing that player with 3 escalation symbols, which will reduce the WMD cost for that enemy's WMD cards pointed. and finally, you'll be greatly advantaging the other 3rd player in terms of overall VPs. It's unaffordable in a close game. You can see there's a disincentive to using the big nukes.

However, over time, as you find yourself stymied to keep getting enough points, or bringing down the leader, you decide to make an attack... or two. You know the other player doesn't want to use their WMDs on you and risk the 3rd player ascending. and that chemical weapons card was just too useful in that situation, and maybe just some nuclear tipped artillery....and all of a sudden you've got MX vs MIRVs and it all ends in tears.

Anyhow, the escalation increase due to battles makes the whole thing a bit of a dance. (Hint: The USA has a "Nuclear Umbrella" status card that makes each Land Battle card worth 2 escalation symbols.)

Anyhow, at some point soon I'll run a game here on the boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, sounds fascinating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

IanBrody wrote:
Anyhow, at some point soon I'll run a game here on the boards.

Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a fertile imagination, Sir and I look forward to this new venture.

Now, when I say you have a fertile imagination, I don't mean that your imagination has been fertilised and by that premise, imply that your head is full of s**t; which I know is not true, since I have bought all your WWII games - hang on, there are two men at my door wearing white coats, gotta go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very interesting . . . any chance there would be usable two-player rules ('cause, for the foreseeable future, I will be playing mostly two-player games).

Also, what is SHAEF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've been playing cold war with 2 people, but I'm in playtest mode with my wife and I'm not looking to win. So I play with a split personality, a bit like playing solitaire. I felt like I was more likely to nuke myself than my wife, so I'm trying to nuke her more often, which she doesn't like that much.

SHAEF is a two person wargame covering the 10 months after D-Day.
A full game of 10 turns takes about 6-8 hours. The game is a card driven wargame, but the cards are not randomized into a deck; but represent the Divisions, Brigades, Tactics, and other support that fought. The cards are assigned to Corps and Army Reserves, which will have counters and pieces on the board divided into regions (not hexes). The core of the player turn consists of 3 separate movement and combat phases (you can only move a unit one space per phase). By having cards instead of counters, there's a high degree of fog of war, AND I get to give each unit a set of special abilities and possibly unique abilities on card text. Each card will have a different photo and flavor text related to the card itself.

It's a fairly simple game to learn and play, but the amount of information on the cards provides depth of play, especially during combat. Of course, there are rules for a historical scenario and a free setup / invade anywhere scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Johnstone
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Banzai Charge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow I missed this news initially but this is awesome. I really hope the cards convey a variety of theaters from Asia to Africa. Would love to see this system utilized in non WW settings I can't wait! Would love to see some cards focused on Cuba, Vietnam and Rhodesia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.