Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the relevant threads here on BGG and have had a look at the rules available online but I am still not completely clear on the solo play experience for Hero Realms. It seems to be fairly limited - can someone give me a sense of what its all about? Is it a worthwhile purchase if I am mostly going to pay solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "solo experience" is a single card you can play against.

It's a nice way if you want to get a little experience with how things work, or if you have put out the cards already but the other player has not shown up yet, but to me this is definitely not a solo game.

I love the game, but would not recommend it to someone for solo play only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not worth it.
At least not until the campaign deck is out, which won't be before at least August from the way it's turning.

As mentioned, the solo mode is a single card. As not mentioned, it's nowhere near fun.
If you don't have character packs ($5 per pack) you'll get annihilated, often in 4 turns. If you do, you're likely to exterminate the opponent if you can survive the initial onslaught.

Solo mode is a fine bonus but it is not worth purchasing the game on its own at all. You want a solo deckbuilder with oomph? Get Aeon's End. It will cost less than Hero Realms + character packs + Ruin of Thandar ($20 + 5x$5 + $20)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus wasn't the solo card only part of the kickstarter? I don't think it comes in the retail set. But even if it does, until the campaign comes out I wouldn't buy this just for solo play, it's ok but not great. If you want solo play get the Star Realms app it's free and has a fairly good solo campaign. Both games are similar at their core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
Plus wasn't the solo card only part of the kickstarter? I don't think it comes in the retail set.

It doesn't. It's supposedly available on the official website (but you have to browse the story page) but the rules are lacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
Though tastes vary from player to player, I actually enjoy the solo play quite a bit.

I bought the game exclusively for solo play, just like I bought Star Realms exclusively for solo play, and it is one of my favorite light solo games.

The virtual player works very well (much better than the virtual players from Star Realms); it is very easy to use, and makes for an engaging and challenging experience (though you might want to give it a bit more starting life if you are going to use any of the character packs - I personally recommend going from 40 to 60 life).

Also, while the solo card was indeed a kickstarter exclusive, you can find pictures of both sides here on buckeyelink Hero Realms: Tibus, Guild Lord Promo Cards, so it is not difficult to make your own, and it works perfectly fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the honest opinions. On balance it sounds like I should wait and see what the campaign deck has in store. In the meantime, I will check out Aeon's End continue playing Star Realms, Ascension, Tanto Cuore and others on tablet to get my deck building fix!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools

We are working on one or two solo play experiences that have not yet been mentioned or announced.

Just wanted to reassure people that we haven't abandoned the solo play idea.

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ian.

Do you know if there is any chance to get the Tibus card at some point in the future for those of us who did not backed the game (I am thinking in particular about Origins)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
montanus wrote:
Thanks Ian.

Do you know if there is any chance to get the Tibus card at some point in the future for those of us who did not backed the game (I am thinking in particular about Origins)?

I believe the plan is to have Tibus in a retail release or as a promo. I don't know what we have in place for Origins. I don't think Tibus is planned as a promo though.

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IanWWG wrote:
montanus wrote:
Thanks Ian.

I believe the plan is to have Tibus in a retail release or as a promo. I don't know what we have in place for Origins. I don't think Tibus is planned as a promo though.

Ian

Thanks for the quick response. I thought it was a longshot, but I wanted to ask anyways just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
montanus wrote:
Thanks Ian.

Remember that in Star Realms, the solo/co-op challenges were released in the Star Realms: Gambit Set pretty early on (way before the year one promo pack).
Tibus may see the same treatment. We don't know what will happen with the KS promos yet, even though it said "exclusive". I'd say the overall response to easily available promos was positive enough that WWG wouldn't do real exclusives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify:

Hero Realms is NOT playable solo, unless you have the KS promo card?

But it will be playable solo, if combined with the Ruin expansion?

Thanks,
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjschryver wrote:
Just to clarify:

Hero Realms is NOT playable solo, unless you have the KS promo card?

But it will be playable solo, if combined with the Ruin expansion?

Thanks,
Mark

Yup, that's right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.