Hide
14 Posts

Specter Ops» Forums » Rules

Subject: agent on top of the car vs remote sensor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hessel Huijser
msg tools
quick question that popped up while reading the rules about the remote sensor.

The agent can be on top of the car as is mentioned in the rules: "Agents and hunters can be moved onto or through the vehicle." What would happen if the agent is on top (or below the car) while the puppet actives remote sensor? would this be plain stupid (he has to tell that he is detected at north-south-west-east) or is it briljant as he does not have to state where he is at that point.

apart from the rules I can imagine a type of remote sensor that would pick up the signal but also one that would not detect someone.

it's probably more of a theoretical question and maybe it is already answered, but I couldn't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think it's covered in the rules unless I missed it, but I would play that the agent does not have to reveal their direction. It sends out sensors in all 4 directions, but they aren't any of those directions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're on the same row as the vehicle you have to say that, and if you're on the same column as the vehicle you have to say that. In this case you would be both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
If you're on the same row as the vehicle you have to say that, and if you're on the same column as the vehicle you have to say that. In this case you would be both.

Why is this? The rules aren't very specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I agree that it's not very clear, but the rules say

If the agent is on a space that is on the same row or column as the vehicle when the motion sensor is used, the agent player must say north, south, east or west.

If you're on the same space as the vehicle, then you're in the same row as the vehicle and in the same column as the vehicle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frey
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so would you just pick one of the 4 directions to say then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would interpret "or" in the inclusive sense here. Essentially, you have to reveal that you are north and south and east and west.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we'll just house rule this to a "not found" response for thematic purposes. I'm just picturing the agent precariously balanced on a rotating sensor array, trying not to topple off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frantic Ferret wrote:
I think we'll just house rule this to a "not found" response for thematic purposes. I'm just picturing the agent precariously balanced on a rotating sensor array, trying not to topple off.

I'm not sure why you'd find that more reasonable from a thematic viewpoint. How does the agent get there without being detected? You're effectively saying that being right at the heart of the search would be the safest place on the board rather than the least safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
How does the agent get there without being detected?

Same way she gets everywhere else without being seen: sticking to the shadows, climbing on top of the equipment, hanging from wires twenty feet off the ground, etc. I'm also making the assumption the car doesn't have a sunroof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Wątorski
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
Do you wanna play a game?
badge
We are all prisoners inside the cage of our own flesh.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question from one of the players during the game. I ruled that he has to either tell us "The sensor detected movement, but the direction is unknown" or "I'm on a car".

The reasoning was that if he moved at least 3 spaces, then he needs to announce that his movement was detected. Additionaly, he also must announce the direction. In this case it doesn't really matter if he says "direction unknown", "north-east-south-west" or "dunno", because it would be the same as saying "I'm on a car"

Rulebook wrote:
When using the motion sensor, if the agent player moved the agent 3 or more spaces on her last turn, she must announce which direction the agent is relative to the vehicle (using the compass on the game board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we play it that the car is an obstacle i have to walk around. probably not according to the rules but avoids this situation. follow up: what happens if agent is on the car and they move it? end their turn in it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Wątorski
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
Do you wanna play a game?
badge
We are all prisoners inside the cage of our own flesh.
mbmbmbmbmb
danimal13 wrote:
we play it that the car is an obstacle i have to walk around. probably not according to the rules but avoids this situation. follow up: what happens if agent is on the car and they move it? end their turn in it?
That was actually the next question one of the players asked during the game: "What if the Puppet moves the car while I'm standing on it?". The answer was: "If you are on the car, then you fall down and stay in place. No free ride for you."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
well it looks like people are divided on this one - any chance we can get official ruling here?

ps. I would play that the agent has to say he is on the same spot as car is. Why? Because thematically speaking the motion sensor detects your movement not just your final position. Agent reveals only final position for the mechanical reasons of the game to be more smooth and less clunky (I think). So if you have moved more than 2 spaces - the motion sensor has detected you. No matter from where did you came, you should say where did you finish your move (even if it's on the same spot as sensor)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.