Subject: No bags/Storage space in box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dru Albright
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm kind of surprised I don't see any discussion of this and it makes me curious if I'm either missing something or if folks just aren't that concerned about it. I was, frankly, stunned that the DS box appears to have inadequate space to store all the components once they're punched-out. Since the player boards take up nearly 2/3rds of their respective cardboard sheets, you don't gain any box space back after you've punched them out. That was surprising to me....had no one actually noticed this during development and package design?

Further, my copy came with no bags for the tokens or storage system of any kind. The only nod to storage was the card bin, which itself seems to have no way to keep the cards organized during storage other than keeping the original back it comes in and then crossing your fingers they don't get too messed up once you put them in the box. The fact that no one appears to be discussing this makes me wonder if I didn't get something other folks did or missed some trick in storage. Or does it just not bother people as much as it bothers me?

This isn't a reflection on the game, which I enjoyed on my first playthrough. It just feels like a lot of effort went into the components and then someone totally forgot about the box they go in, which is super odd in this day and age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WizarDru wrote:
This isn't a reflection on the game, which I enjoyed on my first playthrough. It just feels like a lot of effort went into the components and then someone totally forgot about the box they go in, which is super odd in this day and age.

Unless you're FFG, in which case it's expected. I think sandwich bags will be adequate for the tokens. The cards can probably fit into some cheap deck boxes used for MTG unless you want to buy some card sized baggies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't Jamey Stegmaier so I wouldn't expect baggies and such. But frankly your predicament is becoming increasingly common with these big miniatures game. Should we expect even bigger boxes, increasing production and shipping costs, as well as taking more storage space? I doubt it's worth it.

Do what most of us do with big fat minis games - toss the inserts and bag everything up. Or if you've the time and inclination, create a foam core insert. Or spend silly money on a custom insert by broken token and the like.

Perhaps keep the boss inserts only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dru Albright
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I have plenty of bags from other games. Storing them in the box, however, was more problematic. I had to shove them into the minis boxes to be able to close the box with them in bags, which seems nonsensical to me. Especially after I got my Yokohama Deluxe a week prior, which games with way more storage bags than were needed.

I don't even mind a lack of bags, but I'm confused how you're supposed to store all those cards and tokens other than just dumping them in the box and upending them any time you want to play. Broken Token and Meeple Reality (and others) won't be able to do anything to improve the situation, because there's simply no room to maneuver. Unless maybe you remove the boxes from around the minis, but that seems like a terrible solution, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WizarDru wrote:
Oh, I have plenty of bags from other games. Storing them in the box, however, was more problematic. I had to shove them into the minis boxes to be able to close the box with them in bags, which seems nonsensical to me. Especially after I got my Yokohama Deluxe a week prior, which games with way more storage bags than were needed.

I don't even mind a lack of bags, but I'm confused how you're supposed to store all those cards and tokens other than just dumping them in the box and upending them any time you want to play. Broken Token and Meeple Reality (and others) won't be able to do anything to improve the situation, because there's simply no room to maneuver. Unless maybe you remove the boxes from around the minis, but that seems like a terrible solution, too.

..the cards come with a tray that holds them all. Not sure about that particular problem. And I've got everything put away in various sandwich bags. The box top is a liiiiittle raised, but nothing crazy.

As for Broken Token, they'd absolutely solve it by designing the insert to raise the box lid a bit, its what they're doing for Aeon's End to store both games in the same box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dru Albright
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
..the cards come with a tray that holds them all. Not sure about that particular problem. And I've got everything put away in various sandwich bags. The box top is a liiiiittle raised, but nothing crazy.

As for Broken Token, they'd absolutely solve it by designing the insert to raise the box lid a bit, its what they're doing for Aeon's End to store both games in the same box.

Did you keep it in the bag that it was originally wrapped in? I mean, those cards fill their trays right to the top. I put them back in after play, put the bag back on in hopes it would keep them contained and then put it back in the box...and in the process a half-dozen of the treasure cards scattered across the top. I can deal with it, but it seems poorly thought out and sloppy, increasing the clean-up/set-up time for every game.

I guess I'm just surprised that no one else finds it even slightly annoying, let alone a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WizarDru wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

Did you keep it in the bag that it was originally wrapped in? I mean, those cards fill their trays right to the top. I put them back in after play, put the bag back on in hopes it would keep them contained and then put it back in the box...and in the process a half-dozen of the treasure cards scattered across the top. I can deal with it, but it seems poorly thought out and sloppy, increasing the clean-up/set-up time for every game.

I guess I'm just surprised that no one else finds it even slightly annoying, let alone a problem.

Oh, its not ideal, for sure. Just not a big enough issue for me to complain about since, I'm used to utilizing plano boxes for a lot of games that end up requiring the box lid to be lifted a bit anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually seen lots of people complaining about this.

Someone at Ludo Fact (the manufacturer) pointed out that those plastic trays/inserts in the box are just used to make sure nothing goes missing/gets broken while the games are being packed up; they don't really expect people to store the game's components in those. So perhaps tossing out those trays will make more room in the box.

I'm still waiting for the game to arrive so I'm not sure how bad it is, but I know with other games I've been tempted to throw away those plastic trays the miniatures are packed in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept the minis in their plastic trays, but I got rid of the boxes they came in. I also got rid of the card tray and just bagged all the tokens and cards. Everything fits for now, but once the wave 2 stuff comes, I'll probably have to get a plano box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sepand sg
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I also didn't like that the original box didn't fit all the stuff so I went to Home depot and bought this Husky case, its decent and keeps stuff organized during play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uriah Dawn
United States
Lakeside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I put all the tokens into zip lock bags and just put those bags in the smaller mini box since there was space. Since the card holder the game came with is less than ideal I found some DIY card holders here on the geek and used four of those, threw out the holder that came with and put the ones I made where the old one was and fit in nicely with the lid only slightly raised but that is not an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daiso Japan is your friend- if you've got one in the area (or you happen to be in Japan since they're all over the place).

105 yen for 65 ziplock 7 x 10cm baggies. That's average game card size too.

Seen similar sets of bags in the stateside stores for about $1.50.

Works great for FFG and Flying Frog games with their ridiculous amounts of different token types too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have so many extra bags from all of my games, so I was able to get everything bagged. They cram in nicely into the larger miniature box as well. I am also ditching the card tray and bagging the cards as well, because that card tray sucks once the cards are unwrapped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dru Albright
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly hadn't really considered tossing the trays. I'm stunned that there's no storage system otherwise. I mean, is you spend that much time and money on a game that is focused on miniatures, the idea of doing this:

seems like MADNESS.

It's just surprising to me that most of the people I've discussed this with online are totally fine with it and consider it to be the norm. I mean I look at a games like Anachrony, Scythe, Yokohama Deluxe, Gloomhaven and such and they seem to do fine with storage. Kingdom Death: Monsters, not so much for the minis, but I consider that kind of a unique situation.

It's just me, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat O'Donnell
msg tools
mb
Sepandsg wrote:
I also didn't like that the original box didn't fit all the stuff so I went to Home depot and bought this Husky case, its decent and keeps stuff organized during play

Does this fit into your box or do you keep that separate?

I can't imagine someone can fit all the minis back into the box along with the tokens in anything neat, other than MAYBE plastic bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WizarDru wrote:
I honestly hadn't really considered tossing the trays. I'm stunned that there's no storage system otherwise. I mean, is you spend that much time and money on a game that is focused on miniatures, the idea of doing this:

seems like MADNESS.

It's just surprising to me that most of the people I've discussed this with online are totally fine with it and consider it to be the norm. I mean I look at a games like Anachrony, Scythe, Yokohama Deluxe, Gloomhaven and such and they seem to do fine with storage. Kingdom Death: Monsters, not so much for the minis, but I consider that kind of a unique situation.

It's just me, I guess.

It's not just you, and its not that everyone is fine with it -- it's that we're probably gamers that have so many minis games with this problem that we've come to realise that this is the norm, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parkes
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
#syria
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gentle Gamer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I received my backer copy and wondered the same thing, will probably have to find some baggies so everything can fit in the box.

I would certainly prefer a premium game to include the correct storage options in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sepand sg
United States
New York
flag msg tools
no it does not fit in the box, since the minis are in their original box. I keep this separate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Partridge
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It will be interesting to figure out storage once the KS exclusives arrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat O'Donnell
msg tools
mb
Astrojack83 wrote:
It will be interesting to figure out storage once the KS exclusives arrive.

Seriously... What do people even do for things like this? I like to keep my game pieces all together. It would be difficult to stay organized otherwise, assuming every game came this way.

Would love to hear general ideas for storing in original boxes... Would a foamcore insert work for something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
it works. You simply have to remove the boxes for the miniatures and bosses and put them into their plastic storage. so you can fit a box
for all the tokens into the box and all miniatures safely.

I can add a picture when I am back home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Used seperated bags for all the cards, tokens and dice.
The dice bags are at the bottom of the box beside the tiles, where they fit perfectly and making sure the tiles are kept in place too.

On the tiles the boards and beside those the mini boss bags.

Miniature boxes on top of the boards, while in the boss miniature box all the bags with tokens and cubes are in (between the brown box and the actual tray, a lot of space there but still out of reach of the actual miniatures).

On top of the grunt miniature box all other bags with cards like main boss decks, encounter, treasure... Rulebook on top, all fits safely and closes perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Davis
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I tossed both cardboard boxes the mini plastic inserts were in, as well as the card tray.

Bagged up all the tokens and treasure cards into smalls snack size ziplock bags, put the dice and behavior cards along the sides of the map tiles, then the two plastic insets for the figures, everything else on top. Plenty of room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the pic, how I arrange the box.
The treasure cards are at the side of the card box,
but they would also fit in the box with the minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.