Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While flipping through the rule book for Distant Lands, I immediately noticed a few additions which weren't part of the base game.
Most notable:

Para(5.2): Advance to Combat - It now seems that on the first turn of each game, both sides will move 3 units. Then on the second turn, 2 units will be moved. And finally, 1 unit will be moved each turn from then on.

Para (5.3): Digging In - You can elect to not move a unit, but you must discard your entire hand in order to do so.

I suppose these rules are intended to be used when playing solely Distant Lands as well as when combining the expansion and the base game. I guess the question here is, should these new rules supersede the original rules when playing only the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is these rules are to be implemented to the the base game as well. My question is regarding rockets. The Distant Lands rules state any unit can execute rocket attacks. Does this apply to the base game units as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
My guess is these rules are to be implemented to the the base game as well. My question is regarding rockets. The Distant Lands rules state any unit can execute rocket attacks. Does this apply to the base game units as well?

Since firing Rockets requires a Rockets card, only the Chinese and Indians will use these attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Advance to contact is a great rule. I've played that one for a while. Gets the game going quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I didn't read that far in the rules. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just thinking how much I think the new movement rules make the game better, and that I hope that GMT incorporates them into the base game.

They makes sense in terms of realism, too. The first hour of a battle would be faster from everyone being all cranked on adrenaline, then it would slow down. The Advance to Combat rule captures that well.

I like the option of not HAVING to move, too. But the cost of discarding the whole hand is an effective deterrent, so most of the time it wouldn't probably happen.

Also, the Indian and Japanese decks are different enough to be fun but not overwhelming in terms of additional rules.

I'm loving this expansion to an already classic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.