Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Solution for Green card pile up, a Tag tracking sheet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Carlson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Although it doesn't come up in multi-player as often, in solo it is not uncommon to have 30 or more green cards to track tags from, and those cards take up significant space. So, I made a sheet to track tags on. As soon as you play a card place your player cube on the appropriate number. Then each player can stack their green cards in one space.

If you lose track you can do a quick count.

Now you can instantly see how many space cards, events or cities are out there with a quick glance.

Used with Permission:

FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY, Do not sell this or pay for it. SUBJECT to manufacturers review (if they decide they want to produce these this will come down off the website. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it!

Do we have enough cubes for all these squares?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Carlson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
PEdorido wrote:
I like it!

I believe so, although very prolonged games might leave you short. If they do you can always order more cubes from one of the websites that has them. TheGameCrafter carries 8mm, but I don't believe they have a transparent black cube.

The maximum I could conceive using would be 22... but that is bloody unlikely. More likely the max would be 14, (11 assuming you have one of each tags, and 2 for whatever tags you have more than 10 of.) And if you are playing solo, just use the copper cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last_Frontiersman wrote:
PEdorido wrote:
I like it!

I believe so, although very prolonged games might leave you short. If they do you can always order more cubes from one of the websites that has them. TheGameCrafter carries 8mm, but I don't believe they have a transparent black cube.

The maximum I could conceive using would be 22... but that is bloody unlikely. More likely the max would be 14, (11 assuming you have one of each tags, and 2 for whatever tags you have more than 10 of.) And if you are playing solo, just use the copper cubes.

Fair enough! I also have Pandemic's cubes that's sitting on the shelf for ages.

Really nice stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

Here's a possibility: You could add a little bit more info to that sheet by highlighting certain numbers. Like the 8 on the Building tag track, because that's where the Builder Milestone kicks in. I don't remember how many Jovian tags there are in the deck - is it more than 10? If not, you don't need to go up any higher - or perhaps include a line indicating the maximum there are in the deck (not including any possible future expansions that might add more). Maybe marks on the Science tag track to indicate various cards that have that number of Science tags as a prerequisite. etc.

I don't mean to make more work for you... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Carlson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
That'd be neat indeed, but I sent this off to Fryxen, and he liked the idea so I'd wait for them to do it there. If you'd like to use paint or photoshop to do that on your own it's fine by me. Maybe this thread could be a useful suggestion for some future expansion.

My account was suspended by mistake even though I asked permission first, I'd assume the moderators doing there job well, but unaware of my email inbox. I was able to contact a mod from another account & I'm back up, but I'm not taking any more chances. It's their game...

I'm preparing my own and entering it in the 2018 Ion Award competition,& it would be frustrating to me if people were using my material without permission. IP rights are a pretty touchy business.

Thanks, & have fun... I may add those things you suggested to my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
I like it!

Use the suggestion from one of the solo challenge players: mark the neutral cities and greeneries, and leave your own cubeless. Then you have plenty of cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Carlson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Here is one that prints out at a much more reasonable size for the cubes if you are printing off on a standard printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Alternatively, make counters representing all the different tags and use a single track. That saves table space - you could even integrate such a single track with the player mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Carlson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Interesting,

How would that work with multiple players?

5 tracks maybe with a set of markers for each player? What about tags beyond 10?

Also, these tags might need to be rather small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Carlson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
So here is the first result of my solo playthrough, I had 5 cubes leftover after a successful win. With nothing on the Microbes or Events (single player it's easier to stack the reds) I could subtract 2 more leaving me with 3 spare cubes.

It's possible with the cubes in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last_Frontiersman wrote:
So here is the first result of my solo playthrough, I had 5 cubes leftover after a successful win. With nothing on the Microbes or Events (single player it's easier to stack the reds) I could subtract 2 more leaving me with 3 spare cubes.

I notice you put several player cubes on that blue card, you are supposed to remove it at production phase as it is only used to tag the card as used. If you count resources on a card you use the metal cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last_Frontiersman wrote:

You could have easily fit all your green cards in the space your chart took. It looks like your table is big enough that you'd have had plenty of room for other players too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Carlson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Yes, I piled them there to have some contrast to show how many leftover cubes I had. The other on the Blue Action cards are reserved to mark which actions have been taken in current generation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Carlson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Difference in taste, Green piles of cards are sloppy & each time you have a card that relies on number of tags in play you have to do a quick count. I find it more convenient to count one time, and look at a simple chart.

The one area it's less convenient is if you forget to count a card, which instead means you have to count the cards. However, this still results in less overall counts.

If you have an eidetic memory I suppose it is pointless as you can simply remember every tag on every card... but otherwise you must recount. If I were programming it in C++ I would simply have the playing of the card update the variable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you make one with the Venus tag showing please?
I would also request one which shows VP points from the green cards.

I plan to use this tracker as a central tracker for all players where all players have their cubes on one tracker itself, in this way it is easier to judge the game state

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jalwaaa wrote:

You could replace the event tag with Venus, as event tags don't stick around after they're played. (and it's easy to count event cards for the Legend milestone)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve C wrote:
jalwaaa wrote:

You could replace the event tag with Venus, as event tags don't stick around after they're played. (and it's easy to count event cards for the Legend milestone)

I thought of that initially but the OCD in me would not allow me to do it that way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.