Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H. Tucker Cobey
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tl;dr: This is the list of the 300 tournament-playable cards in STAW.

It's very common to hear that STAW has too many "bad cards." Well, according to Mark Rosewater, a given Magic: the Gathering Standard environment should have about 20-25% of its cards be playable. With Attack Wing having about 1,400 cards in it, I was challenged in a Facebook discussion to find 300 tournament playable STAW cards.

The list of them is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pgLNtY21Rjac1EZDl_Dv...

Please note that this is also a living document--I'll be updating it when I can. It also contains data on wave distribution and retail availability. The list assumes that no house rules (such as purity) are in play; the metric I used, which is fairly subjective, was, "Would I be surprised to see this card included in a T8 build at a well-attended Nationals?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I looked through some of it. I agree with a lot and find a few omissions/inclusions odd.

Tuvok included as a Fed captain before the other versions of Kirk?

Tauna Los before Kira for Bajoran captain?

Matt Decker as a viable admiral before Hiren? Before Shanthi?

No Khan Singh 8?

Any Vulcan captain being included?

Do realize Inagree with a decent chunk of this list. Just naming the confusing ones I see

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Decker is much better than Hiren and Shanthi.

Hiren is an action and disable for just one attack die. That's worse than Dukat. At least he's only one point.

Shanthi is nice for that pseudo-target lock. But flipping over cloak tokens isn't that big of a deal. I've used her before.

But Decker flat out puts damage on an opponent's hull. Doesn't matter if they're cloaked, or have shields. Doesn't matter how defensive a ship is, how much dice they have, if they are running Hull Plating, or have attack negation/diversion. They just take a damage. No attack roll. Just damage. Done. It's an ability that can kill a ship in the activation phase, and there's nothing your opponent can do about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wiegeabo wrote:
Hiren is an action and disable for just one attack die. That's worse than Dukat. At least he's only one point.

Yeah, you don't want his ability, but he's not bad as a 1-point Romulan Security Officer who uses your Admiral slot. I've used him quite a bit, though mainly back when the Romulans had fewer good admirals and things to spend one point on.

He's still no Decker, certainly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Shanthi was always useful to me for torpedo or other TL-expending cards so you could still get rerolls. The cloak busting is a secondary desire.

Also, Hiren purely for 1SP, +1CS. His action is bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But Superior Intellect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.