Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a support group for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: When the designer of some of your favourite games turns out to be a jerk on BGG
Dunyazad wrote:

No.

I went through the same thing about two years ago with my favorite publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: When the designer of some of your favourite games turns out to be a jerk on BGG
Enjoy the art, ignore the artist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Westie wrote:
Enjoy the art, ignore the artist.
How about those times when the art and the artist are fully intertwined? Like the "art" of Skrewdriver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn.

Pete (missed something and doesn't know what it is)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's relatively mild, as these things go. Just a basic refusal to hear any criticism, coupled with the need to argue incessantly and vehemently that the person making the criticism is completely wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Never meet your heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:

The Beatnik Coffee Haus seems appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:

Yeah... it's called forgetahboutit.... and it meets once, and lasts for two seconds. Then you are expected to get on with your life.

Good luck.

Remember, designers are people too. A little part bad, a little part good, but mostly boring and uneventful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Stay away from us designers. We're an incorrigible lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
(Goes to look at Zoe's favorite games out of curiosity, but reaches no conclusion other than that it's probably not the designer of Go who turned out to be a jerk.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm not sure a thread dedicated to calling out another user as a jerk is particularly helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
col_w wrote:
I'm not sure a thread dedicated to calling out another user as a jerk is particularly helpful.

I don't think it was intended to be helpful.
Sometimes you just wanna vent.
She didn't name names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shawnad2006 wrote:
col_w wrote:

I don't think it was intended to be helpful.
Sometimes you just wanna vent.
She didn't name names.

She didn't, but it didn't take much sleuthing to figure out who she was talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I edited the title of this thread, if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird. I came out of that thread with the exact opposite opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think it's generally a bad sign when someone is so eager to refute that they'll directly contradict what they just said earlier in the same thread.

Designer: "You can't change X because it would lead to Misinterpretation Y."

Player: "Misinterpretation Y is already a problem now."

Designer: "No one could possibly think Misinterpretation Y! The rules are extremely clear on this point." With a total of six paragraphs demonstrating how thoroughly the rules prevent Misinterpretation Y....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:
I edited the title of this thread, if that helps.

You didn't need to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Dunyazad wrote:
It's relatively mild, as these things go. Just a basic refusal to hear any criticism, coupled with the need to argue incessantly and vehemently that the person making the criticism is completely wrong.

Interesting perspective.

Tom Lehmann did hear your criticism, and countered it extensively, in great detail, explaining exactly why he thinks what he does, and what has gone into his decision-making. He did nor respond extremely negatively, and the fact that he still dares not to agree with you does not make him a jerk.

You do understand that it is perfectly okay, and even normal, for reasonable people to come to entire opposing conclusions from the same starting point, and never come to agreement, right?

What's wrong with arguing vehemently? And as for incessantly... the whole thing barely reaches page 2, with a whole 8 posts from Tom in response to your query about the design choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Levine
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Dunyazad wrote:

Interesting perspective.

Tom Lehmann did hear your criticism, and countered it extensively, in great detail, explaining exactly why he thinks what he does, and what has gone into his decision-making. He did nor respond extremely negatively, and the fact that he still dares not to agree with you does not make him a jerk.

You do understand that it is perfectly okay, and even normal, for reasonable people to come to entire opposing conclusions from the same starting point, and never come to agreement, right?

What's wrong with arguing vehemently? And as for incessantly... the whole thing barely reaches page 2, with a whole 8 posts from Tom in response to your query about the design choice.

Note both the time of when that comment you quoted was posted, and where the thread was at that point; it was before the improvement in tone / the detailed explanation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I briefly considered posting links to posts made by a rather specific designer of train games, but chickened-out because I don't want to get swatted by Octavian. Tom defends his decisions but it isn't horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
Random Person on the Internet: hey Game Designer, we misread a rule and because of that some other icon was weird to interpret. You should change it.

Game designer: Had you read the rule, it would all make sense. There were many reasons we did it as we did. Here they are in painstaking detail

Random Person: Those reasons are stupid. Your rules are dumb. You should listen to me. You're a jerk. Waaaaaaaaah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
KoolKow wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
Dunyazad wrote:

Interesting perspective.

Note both the time of when that comment you quoted was posted, and where the thread was at that point; it was before the improvement in tone / the detailed explanation

And yet there are today's posts (both here and there). No sign of any sort of retraction or backing down from the claims made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Is there a meta-support group for when some users respond extremely negatively to a user who responds extremely negatively to a game designer who responds extremely negatively to criticism on BGG? wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Is there a meta-support group for when some users respond extremely negatively to a user who responds extremely negatively to a game designer who responds extremely negatively to criticism on BGG? wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.