Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have signed up for second ed, so have only read the rule book thus far. I was interested to see that different parties can have their own reputation, which can trigger certain events. I also found a couple of forum posts saying there is enough scenarios to cope with multiple parties playing in the same campaign.

So does it sound like a good idea to have a party that is 'good' (tries to advance their reputation) and another that is 'evil' (only out to trash the joint)? Is there potential for interesting stories as the actions of one party affects the other? Is it necessary to see all the consequences of the reputation track, or are they likely to happen anyway? Is it an arbitrary and simplistic division, and better to just follow the story in a more natural fashion?

Since most campaign play will just be with myself and my partner, it also seems two parties would be a way to see more character types. Or is that likely to happen anyway as play progresses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly what my group plans to do. We're playing the first printing now as good guys. When we get the second printing, we're going to start again as bad guys on a clean copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rep affects a number of things, like events and content unlocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with that is that some of the storyline quests are pretty definitively good or evil. Taking one path can shut down the other path for the other group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wallace
United States
Berkeley
CA
flag msg tools
mb

Reputation is by party. Seems like a fun idea to play a "good" party and also an "evil" party. I've heard of other people using this approach, and positive reputation does have different game effects from negative reputation.

*However!* The game does a pretty good job of giving options that are morally ambiguous, especially with road events. People often say they are surprised by the outcomes of the choices on the cards. This can sometimes be a letdown if the outcomes start to feel arbitrary.

I should also mention that the characters are literally treated as mercenaries. Killing for hire isn't exactly "good", and at the same time, getting paid to stop bad guys isn't necessarily "evil". Generally, these characters are way more aggressive than I would ever be, and this is part of the fun.

Sometimes, reputation gains or losses are based on the outside perception of your party, rather than an actual ethical stance. I like to think of game reputation as how bad-ass your party seems to be, in which ever direction you tend to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seething Song wrote:
Sometimes, reputation gains or losses are based on the outside perception of your party, rather than an actual ethical stance. I like to think of game reputation as how bad-ass your party seems to be, in which ever direction you tend to go.

Does that mean a bad reputation is more akin to failing a lot?

Possibly I should just start with one party and see how we go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler for a city event...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We just lost reputation because our shining paragons of goodness decided to help a captain load his boat. Guess it was too menial a job. We just tried to help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Monson
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
My group tried to have a good and evil party messing around with the game.

Unfortunately, our evil party learned something very important.

We were very bad at being bad. We're the ones who unlocked the +9 rep box rather than the good party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
Selling Games Workshop miniatures due to lack of space: www.ebay.co.uk/usr/medieval_fantasy
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also really interested in playing multiple parties with different behaviour/reputation (while still waiting for the second edition to arrive whistle). Basically, as already somebody is doing, I would like to have one two-characters group with my wife and another one with my friends (including also my wife eventually).

As far as I have understood from the forum (and the rules), one issue could be the fact that achievements are gained by a group and one party could be limited by the fact of missing some important ones.

It is not clear to me how different achievements can be (and I want to discover by myself) but there is already a difference between global and party achievements. I could eventually think also to have two distinguished pair of city and road decks, one for party.

I would be glad if you could clarify to me why such approach wouldn't work (if you can do without spoiler). : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mithrandir82 wrote:
I am also really interested in playing multiple parties with different behaviour/reputation (while still waiting for the second edition to arrive whistle). Basically, as already somebody is doing, I would like to have one two-characters group with my wife and another one with my friends (including also my wife eventually).

As far as I have understood from the forum (and the rules), one issue could be the fact that achievements are gained by a group and one party could be limited by the fact of missing some important ones.

It is not clear to me how different achievements can be (and I want to discover by myself) but there is already a difference between global and party achievements. I could eventually think also to have two distinguished pair of city and road decks, one for party.

I would be glad if you could clarify to me why such approach wouldn't work (if you can do without spoiler). : )

There are global achievements that affect all parties and party achievements that only affect 1 party.

From what I've seen, certain scenarios can only be done by a party that has the relevant party achievement. That's usually fine, since there is plenty for the other party to do. The game is designed to have both parties play in the same world. You can modify that however you want, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Goddard
msg tools
As an evil party we do a lot of good things. So many of the cards have outcomes that are so unexpected. once we had a choice to kill someone or not and the results certainly weren't what we thought. Trying to get to -20 is proving to be very difficult.

Also running two parties will become hard eventually due to choices you make. without spoilers there are sometimes 2 scenarios to pick from, one being a "good" path and the other being the "bad" path and doing one, locks the other so whichever party is playing second might get locked out of missions and further adventures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
Selling Games Workshop miniatures due to lack of space: www.ebay.co.uk/usr/medieval_fantasy
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
Mithrandir82 wrote:

There are global achievements that affect all parties and party achievements that only affect 1 party.

From what I've seen, certain scenarios can only be done by a party that has the relevant party achievement. That's usually fine, since there is plenty for the other party to do. The game is designed to have both parties play in the same world. You can modify that however you want, I suppose.

First, thank you very much for your (spoiler-free) clarifications.

Following your considerations I think maybe I could simply run a small party with my wife and a bigger one (including also my wife's and my character) with my friends distinguishing only the reputation. I know the book rules suggest to create new characters everytime you create a new party but we probably would be fine with this approach since also the different levels of the characters don't seem to create a big issue usually.

I could keep updated my friends of the most important events which happened (I will do a diary nevertheless as somebody is already doing since it seems a nice idea) while don't "forcing" them to behave like my wife and me would like to (on the other hand we will be more flexible to accept their decisions).

Thematically it makes also sense to me. I remember many fantasy series (e.g. Legend of Drizzt) where some smaller parties who usually have a bad reputation were treated differently while working with the main group (and also the contrary happened) while both the parties being sometimes affected by the "achievements" of the other party.

Following the same principle I would be glad also if I could run also a third solo one-character party (as far as I know only one scenario per character will allow it by the rules). I have already some ideas I would like to try but I will check other discussions first.

Thanks again for your feedback !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.