Subject: Suggestions to round-out my collection? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small (especially relative to folks here!) collection but I think some really good games and decent variety. I'm curious if there are any "blind spots" that I might be missing a certain type of game to round-out my collection.

My goals are:
(1) Skew towards lower player counts (2 players half the time).
(2) I like intelligently thematic games, thinking/strategy games, and luck games.
(3) Not a huge fan of social deduction.
(4) Try to avoid games with lots of rules to memorize/lookup (relative to strategy and playing time).
(5) Games like Gloomhaven, Twilight Empirium, Pandemic Legacy, and even Warhammer are appealing to me but I don't have the time to invest to appreciate them (or a regular group).
(6) "Multiplayer solitaire" and "Points Salad" games bug me a bit (although I like Xia below for it's strong theme!).
(7) I have enough 2 player war games.
(8) I'm not too interested in basic gateway games (Ticket to Ride Europe is enough).

Here are my games:
- Betrayal at House on the Hill
- Brass (kickstarter pre-order)
- Castles of Burgundy
- Forbidden Desert
- Mythic Battles Pantheon (miniatures skirmish game kickstarter pre-order, plays under an hour)
- Rino Hero
- Star Wars Rebellion
- Ticket to Ride Europe
- Twilight Struggle
- War of the Ring
- XIA, Legend of Drift System

Considerations:
- Madiera - I'll see how Brass goes first before getting into other heavy Euros.
- Star Trek Ascendency, Cry Havoc, Exodus: Proxima Centauri - Already am overweighted space/fantasy games a bit... not sure I'll find people to play these in addition to what I already have.
- Teraforming Mars - the component quality bothers me a bit so will wait if/until a deluxe addition might come out.
- Clank -- on my short-list!
- Le Havre - for now, I already have two very good yet quite different Euros that still enjoying (or about to Enjoy in the case of Brass).

Given I'd like to keep my collection fairly small, does something stand out that would round out my list? Something generally "fun", thematic or a strategic gameplay mechanic that is unlike what I have? Of course, if not, I'm happy to enjoy what I have (and wait for what will be released in the coming years). Thanks for any suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmbmb
You seem to have an eclectic taste in games so almost anything with good replay ability should work well. You also have some great games your concidering. You might like Agricola or even Terra Mystica as both games have almost unlimited replay value.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey W

Bonney Lake
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raptor fun 2p game with a great theme, simultaneous card play
Orléans 2-4p bag builder that works great with 2.
High Treason: The Trial of Louis Riel very thematic 2p game where you play as lawyers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you need a good middleweight euro. Though you have CoB.

You've got a lot of your bases covered here...

Tigris & Euphrates (always a good choice for 3+)

Perhaps a rondel game? Navegador, Concordia, Imperial

Some card drafting maybe? Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization to Saint Petersburg (second edition) to Imperial Settlers depending on complexity.

7 Wonders for MtG style drafting for up to 7 players?

EDIT: ACTION POINTS!!!
Tikal, Torres, Mexica, Java.

Negotiation games.
Forgot what I came here to edit when action points hit me...

EDIT EDIT: Remembered! 18xx! Not sure how much time you have though.
Poseidon, 1846: The Race for the Midwest (New GMT edition out now), 1830: Railways & Robber Barons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone ... I'm going to look into those suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Party:Wits & Wagers/Wits & Wagers Party , Time's Up! Title Recall!

Abstract: Pyramid Arcade ,Kamisado

Card game:Red7,Pi mal Pflaumen

Speed game:Cup-A-Cup,Spot it!,Dr. Eureka, Pyramid Arcade

Deck builder:Paperback,Trains+Trains: Rising Sun

Word game:Paperback

Just because I like them: Steam ,Imperial Settlers ,Race for the Galaxy ,Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island(Can be tough to learn but it so good once you do),Pyramid Arcade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Concordia
Also, consider The Golden Ages.

They are both great games that have mechanics that would be new to you. They both play well at all player counts, including 2 players. Concordia goes to 5 players, The Golden Ages goes to 4 players, 5 with the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
2 player suggestions:

- Agricola: All Creatures Great and Small
- Patchwork
- Carcassonne
- Fits

( my wife likes all these games and you said you have enough wargames )

3 player:

- Fury of Dracula
- Maria
- Triumph and Tragedy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
Small tortoiseshell butterfly
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
- Fury of Dracula

Possibly the above (if available) or another hidden movement game like Specter Ops or Letters from Whitechapel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cavallari
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game
Ulm
Mombasa
7 Wonders Duel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because I like them (a lot) I'm going to suggest Rococo Viticulture Essential Edition and Splendor.

Splendor is a bit of a gateway game... but quite a lot of fun and has a fairly short play time. Rococo is longer and a bit more complex (multiple stratagies) but very fun and has the added benefit of being pretty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spot it! is a great game to round out a collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Five Tribes : plays well with 2, mancala based mechanics
- Chicago Express : plays well 3 and more : great introduction to auctions, shareholding, plays in one hour, super simple rules, great gateway game with lots of depth
- Shadowrun: Crossfire : plays well 3-4, short game time, great deck-building cooperative game
- Troyes or The Voyages of Marco Polo : great dice management games that play well 2-4, but then you already have CoB. Still Troyes is very interactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Everyone ... I will need to look into these but at first glance it seems a deck builder would be good.

I looked at the list and the highest BGG ranked are:
-Mage Knight
-Arkham: Card Game
-Great Western Trail
-Orleans
-Concordia
-Mombasa

Some of these were already suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Weinmann
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I like Keyflower a lot, it's highly ranked on BGG but I don't notice it mentioned too often in these recommend threads. Maybe because it's a little pricey and hard to find (bought mine through Amazon and it came from Germany). It's a fun game with a lot of strategy and meaningful decisions where you use your allotment of meeples to bid on new tiles to add to your town as well as activate existing tiles to gather resources, transport goods and upgrade tiles to better versions. Would be a good add to any collection, imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am similar you to you, I typically look for co-op games for the solo touch, but there are some good games that I have:

Friday- Solo only, can be a challenge to win, easy to set up

Hero/Star/Chtulhu Realms - Great deck building games I would choose the theme you like and stick with it, my personal favorite is Star Realms, but Hero Realms is great too.

Terraforming Mars- the quality is not that bad, I love the game and play it a lot with the solo variant.

LOTRO/Arkham Horror: The Card game, 1 - 2 people out of the box, but a bit rule heavy

Jaipur: Two player must have for any collection
Splendor: 2 - 4 player great game

Zombicide: I prefer the Black Plague version, the rules seem heavy but it is a very easy game to play easily supports 2 people with playing multiple roles.

There you go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will S
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 for both Paperback and The Voyages of Marco Polo.

I think you would enjoy Istanbul (especially with the Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh expansion)

and the only Kickstarter I have backed so far looks really good (since it is by the Paperback guys): Hardback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stills999 wrote:
Thanks Everyone ... I will need to look into these but at first glance it seems a deck builder would be good.

I looked at the list and the highest BGG ranked are:
-Mage Knight
-Arkham: Card Game
-Great Western Trail
-Orleans
-Concordia
-Mombasa

Some of these were already suggested.

Just note there are a number of ways to define a deck builder and the difference between it and deck construction, which is building a deck before you play versus while you play. Arkham is before you play. The others are while you play. Orleans is a bag builder as you are putting tokens in a bag versus using cards. The others use a deck building mechanism, but not really in the traditional sense. Not that this is a bad thing as I fine I enjoy them more than some traditional deck builders.

If I were making a smaller collection of games, I would have games which mash together multiple mechanisms. Keyflower, Lewis and Clark(has a deck buildish aspect), and La Granja would be a few. Eminent Domain is a nice mashing of deck building and variable phase order. Some favorite more pure deck builders would be Trains(RisingSun), Legendary Encounters: Aliens, and Clank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will S
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, since I have seen Keyflower mentioned a couple of times, you might want to look into Key to the City: London. I've only played it 3 player but it has been quite fun at that player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Keyflower - we discovered about a month ago and it is becoming our fav. Interesting auction, tile, worker placement combo. For 2 players, plays pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.