Hide
6 Posts

Five Tribes» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two rule clarifications (resources and end-game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lufia22
msg tools
1.) The game refers to choosing cards from the front of the resource line, but never states which is the front. I suppose it doesn't matter much so long as you're consistent, but just asking for the sake of knowing. I fear the unknown!

2.) I'm pretty sure of the answer on this, but the rulebook has me second guessing myself. The game ends at the end of a "turn," which I believe is defined as Bidding, Actions (in turn order), and Clean-Up in which someone has either placed all their camels or there are no more valid meeple movements.

On page 7 on the note, the rulebook suggests holding onto resources unless you absolutely need money because you can always sell them on your last turn. This is the part that has me second guessing myself. If what I said about end-game is correct, not everyone is guaranteed a full-knowledge "final turn." To put it another way, if there are 4 players and the 1st player takes their actions and doesn't sell goods, then the 2nd player takes their actions and triggers the end game. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th player will get the opportunity to sell but the 1st player is out of luck. Is this correct?

I realize someone might have to be dense not to see the end of the game coming, but I just want to clarify in case a situation like this every comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I just put cards from left to right, and then put the deck at the end, and call the front the left, the first card placed. At the reset I then move everything to the left and then fill in from the deck, left to right.
2. Money and Victory points are the same, so if you were able to do what you wanted with your money on your last turn, then at the end of the game you get the exact same amount for trading in your cards then, as you would during your turn. So the only reason to trade the cards in early is to absolutely do something you need to do that you don't have the money for. Otherwise there is no real difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lufia22
msg tools
monkeyburp wrote:
1. I just put cards from left to right, and then put the deck at the end, and call the front the left, the first card placed. At the reset I then move everything to the left and then fill in from the deck, left to right.
2. Money and Victory points are the same, so if you were able to do what you wanted with your money on your last turn, then at the end of the game you get the exact same amount for trading in your cards then, as you would during your turn. So the only reason to trade the cards in early is to absolutely do something you need to do that you don't have the money for. Otherwise there is no real difference.

I appreciate the response. Just to clarify my question in number 2. I understand the reasoning behind why you would save your money, but I was asking more about whether or not everyone is guaranteed a full-knowledge final turn. The "Note" on page 7 seems to make is sound like there is no risk to holding onto your goods because you can always sell on your final turn, but as my example showed, I don't believe everyone is guaranteed a final turn after end-game triggers have been met.

In my example:
Player 1 finishes their actions and does not sell goods.
Player 2 places last camel, triggering end-game, and sells goods.
Player 3 does actions and sells goods.
Player 4 does actions and sells goods.
End of game scoring now occurs.

In this case, Player 1 took a risk (however stupid) by not selling goods and never got a chance to sell them, correct? I just want to make sure I understood end-game turn structure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lufia22 wrote:
monkeyburp wrote:

I appreciate the response. Just to clarify my question in number 2. I understand the reasoning behind why you would save your money, but I was asking more about whether or not everyone is guaranteed a full-knowledge final turn. The "Note" on page 7 seems to make is sound like there is no risk to holding onto your goods because you can always sell on your final turn, but as my example showed, I don't believe everyone is guaranteed a final turn after end-game triggers have been met.

In my example:
Player 1 finishes their actions and does not sell goods.
Player 2 places last camel, triggering end-game, and sells goods.
Player 3 does actions and sells goods.
Player 4 does actions and sells goods.
End of game scoring now occurs.

In this case, Player 1 took a risk (however stupid) by not selling goods and never got a chance to sell them, correct? I just want to make sure I understood end-game turn structure.

Given that the scoring rules on page 3 specifically say players get points for sets of merchandise they own, Player 1 risked nothing, and the other players had no reason to sell their goods, either, unless they needed the money for other reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are understanding it correctly. Player 1 would still get the points(coins) for their goods cards as points from your remaining goods is the last line on the score pad. So technically, you don't need to sell your goods on your last turn to get the points. Not sure why that note is there on page 7. The end game scoring on page 3 states players still get their points for remaining goods.

Edit: ninja'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lufia22 wrote:
1.) The game refers to choosing cards from the front of the resource line, but never states which is the front. I suppose it doesn't matter much so long as you're consistent, but just asking for the sake of knowing. I fear the unknown!

The important thing is that the market is refreshed from the "back." The unchosen, lefover cards move to the "front," and the newly dealt cards are the "back." The orientation is unimportant. Just put the draw deck on one side or the other, and that is the back end. New cards will come from the draw deck and be closest to the draw deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.