21 Posts

Aeon's End» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Aeon's End Weekly Discussion #13 - Xaxos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
He's making his grand return as a total douche in War Eternal, but what do you think of Xaxos in Aeon's End?

Xaxos can manipulate the turn order deck and deal up to 3 damage with his unique card, providing useful information in the process.

As usual, thanks to
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
for the images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very valuable mage when used in a four player game, not as much in lower player counts. He provides the flexibility in the turn order that is lacking with four players.

Good starting economy enables him to focus on expensive cards and using his special ability. I find that he is more of a support character than a damage dealer.

Don't forget that you can use his special ability when the turn order deck is empty (to re order the entire deck the way you want).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helikoputtrik wrote:
Don't forget that you can use his special ability when the turn order deck is empty (to re order the entire deck the way you want).

That's useful in any player count. But you really have to be careful how your order it. I once spelled my own demise by putting two Nemesis cards together. You should avoid that Best scenario is probably Nemesis/player/player/player/Nemesis/player or something like that so you have time to react to them damn power and minion cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flare is a powerful starting card and his 4 breach only takes a couple times to get open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've generally found Xaxos to be a more powerful mage. His breach positions leave a little something to be desired, but he only starts with two spells, meaning that a second open breach will allow him to hold his spells indefinitely, resulting in a strong economy. He's great for support, but he needs some external method of focusing breaches if he wants to do heavy spellcasting.

His ability is incredibly useful - that it allows anybody else to either immediately fire or come close to firing their own charge ability, and time it correctly to boot. This usually means you can stack the deck in a way so you can deal with the current threats, and potentially use a valuable ability much more often than normally possible. (You can have Xaxos fill their ability, then have them fire it off and work on refilling it himself.)

Combined with Flare, which is rare in that it's a (sometimes) high-damage early-game card, and you end up with a pretty powerful mage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened to Aeon's End Weekly Discussion #12?!? Ahhhh my head is exploding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaxos is so strong he's able to skip weekly discussions at will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Pluim
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've only played two 4 player games, and both games in the end were won because we were able to use his ability at the end to make sure the right turn order was in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobacles wrote:
What happened to Aeon's End Weekly Discussion #12?!? Ahhhh my head is exploding!

Xaxos believes that 12 bears bad luck, so he would not let me use that as his weekly discussion number.

He's a strong persuader, I'll let you know that much!

Those glowing red eyes scared me to death
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
bobacles wrote:

Xaxos believes that 12 bears bad luck, so he would not let me use that as his weekly discussion number.

He's a strong persuader, I'll let you know that much!

Those glowing red eyes scared me to death

Lol!

Xaxos is superstitious AND a jerk! He can just go live with the Nameless for all I care...

I have not had the opportunity to play with Xaxos, yet, but I will put in my 2 cents...

As others have stated, he starts with a good economy only having two non-crystal starting cards. His ability allows him to fill the role of a support character, which when coupled with Flare further emphasizes this play style. However, it is easy to see how he can be an early damage dealer or tailor his deck to be a damage dealer through mid and late game with his Breach IV only a couple of focuses (foci?) away from being open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've used Xaxos most effectively at 3 players, when he can use his ability to stack the wild card, and in such a way that a player can activate his or her ability on two successive turns, often in the same round/same pass through the turn order deck, or even back-to-back turns.

One thing I found intriguing about Xaxos is that he was one of the few mages from the first wave of release whose starting card and ability synergize in some way; in his case, Xaxos can use his ability to control the Turn Order deck, which allows him to optimize the damage from Flare.

I wouldn't say Xaxos shines here, but one very interesting mode of play for Xaxos, especially with the right supply, is in Full Solo - once he charges up his ability, it only removes one charge to activate it and stack the Turn Order deck. Combine this with Scrying Bolt, which allows you to spend a charge to view and order the top cards of the Nemesis Deck, and Xaxos has a ton of control over the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LuckySweep wrote:
I've used Xaxos most effectively at 3 players, when he can use his ability to stack the wild card, and in such a way that a player can activate his or her ability on two successive turns, often in the same round/same pass through the turn order deck, or even back-to-back turns.

One thing I found intriguing about Xaxos is that he was one of the few mages from the first wave of release whose starting card and ability synergize in some way; in his case, Xaxos can use his ability to control the Turn Order deck, which allows him to optimize the damage from Flare.

I wouldn't say Xaxos shines here, but one very interesting mode of play for Xaxos, especially with the right supply, is in Full Solo - once he charges up his ability, it only removes one charge to activate it and stack the Turn Order deck. Combine this with Scrying Bolt, which allows you to spend a charge to view and order the top cards of the Nemesis Deck, and Xaxos has a ton of control over the game.

He also has one less chance to deal 3 damage with Flare in solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Razoupaf wrote:
LuckySweep wrote:

He also has one less chance to deal 3 damage with Flare in solo
I would say that's a matter of perspective, though. There's one less player card in the Turn Order deck, that's true, but Xaxos takes every turn, so he has more opportunities to cast Flare, and more opportunities to build up his ability to control the Turn Order deck and optimize Flare with some careful planning.
I will say, though, that it's when playing with Xaxos or Lash that I favor a Solo mode with a 4th "Dead" player turn card that doesn't represent a turn for the solo mage, but does represent a player turn for the sake of resolving game effects. I think I've mentioned that idea elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tang
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Power ranking: in 4 and 3 player games. Otherwise fairly balanced:

Design rating: awesome card design!

One thing I really appreciate about him is that he doesn't have awkward hands, unlike mages such as Adelheim, who unless you spend a turn opening or focusing you won't get rid of your hands. Having a special card that synergizes with his ability is great design too.

Xaxos' charge refunding is super powerful, because it allows you to bank charges for other players. If you play a 4 player game, have two players prep Radiance and then have a Jian cast her own Black mirror, activate Xaxos's ability and then Black mirror another time. Drawing 12 cards in one turn, dealing 20 damage, and also being able to rearrange the turn order deck means that if you ever reach this point you will almost always win.

In a two player game, Xaxos is a bit less strong, because his charges are basically a bank for the 2nd player. Nevertheless, it still gives you super wonky combo potential. Great card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played him against Horde-Crone yesterday. Flare made short work of a problematic Glyph Enigma thanks to lucky reveals and his ability was instrumental in letting Phaedraxa use her own ability a couple of time... One turn early each time! His is useful but damn hers is a difficult one to gauge! She's definitely at the top of my list for the next mage discussion.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Oh and I lost. The market was tough with only Burning Opal and Unstable as my only means of building resource and Transmogrifier being slow, especially with obly Unstable Prism as a target for 0 cost cards. Fun game anyway, I could have decked him out if Phaedraxa hit both times late game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helikoputtrik wrote:
You can? Should I know that from some part of the rules that I missed, or is it a FAQ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dthurston wrote:
Helikoputtrik wrote:
You can? Should I know that from some part of the rules that I missed, or is it a FAQ?

It's written at the bottom of the section describing the turn order deck.

"When the turn order deck is empty and a new turn order card must be drawn or revealed, shuffle all of the turn order cards together and place them facedown to make the turn order deck again."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Paardekooper
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One question about his charge ability:

"Metaphysical Link: (...) reveal the turn order deck and return the revealed cards in any order."

Does this mean that if he uses this ability, you can sort the entire turn order deck the way you want? If he manages to full charge before the nemesis' turn he can just use his ability again and create an infinite loop where you can put the nemesis cards in the bottom each time so it will never have a turn... surprise
Or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You're missing something.

When you sort the turn order deck, you sort cards remaining in the deck. Any turns that have already triggered will be in the turn order discard, and are not subject to stacking.

Lash's power gives you extra turns, but Xaxos's does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
namrevo wrote:
One question about his charge ability:

"Metaphysical Link: (...) reveal the turn order deck and return the revealed cards in any order."

Does this mean that if he uses this ability, you can sort the entire turn order deck the way you want? If he manages to full charge before the nemesis' turn he can just use his ability again and create an infinite loop where you can put the nemesis cards in the bottom each time so it will never have a turn... surprise
Or am I missing something?

You rearrange what remains of the turn order deck.
You only rebuild the entire deck if you should draw a card and the deck is empty If there is only one card left in the deck, the ability does nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Paardekooper
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both. That sounds like it makes sense... I guess I still timed it right then yesterday (when I had to draw the entire deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.