Subject: Space Elevator Pad Explosion/Space Debris? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikael Klingvall
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
If I have the Space Elevator, would cards at Sol-Earth L2 be vulnerable to the Pad Explosion/Space Debris event since LEO and L2 become co-located? My reading of the rules would be 'no', since the actual text for the venture says I'm "able to consider" the two as co-located. In the event of such an event I would definitely consider them not co-located...

Best,
Mikael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so, and the reasoning is mostly from the other direction - can other players use your space elevator (without asking)?

If yes, then there's a permanent change to the map, and the two areas could be considered to be the same area. Since this is not the case, I don't think Pad explosions can have that effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Klingvall
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
Interesting. However, I don't think that precludes that I am not vulnerable to the co-location -- it is my space elevator; maybe I have to suffer the drawbacks in order to enjoy the benefits.

Best,
Mikael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
YES, they would. But only for the player owning the Space Elevator.

See:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20091338#20091338

Can I suggest to try use the search functionality before asking (or answering..). Many issues have already came out in the past, either here or in the 2nd edition forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, Andrew's going for the hard definition of "co-location". I think I'm happy with that.

Thematically this could work either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are two locations that are joined by the elevator technology, making it essentially "free" to move between the two. This is why the rules say you can consider them to be the same location, since there are no movement rules needed to move between them. I don't see why the presence or absence of a space elevator would change the chance of pad explosions/space debris at L2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
Interesting, Andrew's going for the hard definition of "co-location". I think I'm happy with that.

Thematically this could work either way.

It's not only "Andrew going": do note that Phil vetted the answer himself by thumbing it up, as he is/was used to do, so that the issue rested there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, by default there won't be any space debris at L2.

With an elevator, you're launching direct to GEO (or rather L2 in this case), so you're risking the same kind of launch failures. So I could see it either way.

It's a really minor point in practice, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The other end of elevator is in fact a mass object like an asteroid. It rotates faster then it should so there is some "negative" gravity there. This may cause some debris nearby as well as all the decommissioned machinery used for building the elevator. The Phobos one does not suffer such problems, although the moving end of its elevator in Mars atmosphere is somewhat hazardous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.