Subject: Is this combo really true ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Dubus
France
Lille
flag msg tools
Hi !

Yesterday, I made the Volkare return scenario in solo game. When Volkare attacked, I was surprised that I could kill him so easily, so I post here to check that I didn't make any mistake.

I have unit "Altem Mages", artifact "Bow of Starsdawn" and spell "Flame Wall/Flame Wave".

I'm fighting Volkare which is level 8 and has 9 ennemies tokens with him (he recruited 3 times during the game).

So, if I spend a black mana for Altem Mage to change all my attacks as Siege attacks, then sacrifice Bow of Starsdawn for the better effect to double those siege attacks and finally play Flame Wave to get 5 + 2 * 10 = 25, I double it for 50 Ranged attack. What ? Did I kill all the Volkare army without any scare ?

Writing here, it seems to be correct, but I still doubt. Does it really work ?

Flame Wave
Fire Attack 5 or Fire Block 7. This attack or block gets increased by 2 for each enemy token you are facing.

Altem Mages :
Pay a black mana: Choose one: All attacks you play this combat become Cold Fire Attacks, or all your attacks become Siege Attacks in addition to any elements they have.

Bow of Starsdawn :
Each of your Ranged Attacks this turn is either doubled, or becomes a Siege Attack of the same element. You may also double any Siege attacks, but they become Ranged Attacks of the same element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I don't have the cards with me, so I'll just base my thinking on your description above.

I don't understand why there is such doublings of attacks.

If the flame wall spell gives you 5 attack,
and you discard 5 cards (not using their effect) for the range effect of the Bow (do you actually have 7 cards in hand?),
all you get is 5+5*2=15.

Can you explain your reasoning for all the doubling ?

Making an attack cold fire does not increase its potency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter de Boer
Austria
Velden
Carinthia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is correct. The doubling is because of the strong effect of the Bow. The description above also shows the normal effect (which requires discarding cards), that is a bit confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Dubus
France
Lille
flag msg tools
Sorry, it was confusing, I edited to have only used parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I get your reasoning:
Flame wall generates 5 + 2*10 (because of tokens) siege attacks (because of altem mages)
discarding the bow doubles range attacks (siege attacks being ranged attacks) you double again your 25....
seems legit, any fortification ? cos the bow makes siege become range
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Dubus
France
Lille
flag msg tools
No, they all are targetable. I never made such an attack in more than 25 games. Will be hard not to try to do it again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If none of the enemies have the fortified attribute it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He has siege attack from the Altem mages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
It only took 50 to kill 9 guys? That's like 5.5 hit points each. Doesn't he have some dragons? If he recruited 3 times, then he must have an additional 3 grey tokens. And it would be odd if none of the 9 tokens had any kind of resistance or fortification. I just did a quick look and I think the very minimum hit point total for the units you faces is 42. But, that means you drew the perfect tokens for every color.

The Council of the Void favors you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Dubus
France
Lille
flag msg tools
Ahah, to be exact, their was 2 fortified Guardsmen I handled using not doubled sieged attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This seems correct, but how did you get two black mana tokens? Mana Draw presumably. Good work!

Also you will get Ranged Fire Attack 50 so don't forget that if any one enemy has fire resistance, the entire attack will be inefficient, i.e. 25 effective damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to go back to the rules to check this... so yes a single unit with the right resistance, and your entire attack is halved. Thanks for the reminder, Justin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Dubus
France
Lille
flag msg tools
No fire resistance

In fact, I had a very good hand :
Tremor/Earthquake (reduced armor of all enemies) and Blood Ritual (for the 3 black manas)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Bow of Starsdawn doesn't double siege, only range attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:
I think that Bow of Starsdawn doesn't double siege, only range attacks.

You can double siege attacks, but they become regular ranged attacks in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You combined three of the best cards against large armies of enemies for this result, which you are all not guaranteed to get/see in any given game. So yes, you can do that, but believe me you are lucky to have them all

Bow of Starsdawn is one of the few scaling artifacts, maybe the only one besides Sword of Justice.

Altem Mages are insanely good to make shitty attacks worthwhile. They are also the only real scaling unit, maybe rivalled by the Altem Guardians, but those are purely defensive.

And Flame Wave gives you a lot of shitty attack
It is the only spell that scales attack with the number of tokens you face, which works with the other two cards in this way. For large armies the only rivals are Tremor, Demolish and maybe Expose. For a solid combo you can also combine Sacrifice with Bow of Starsdawn.

Getting the right units + spells + artifacts can make you insanely powerful, I dare you to repeat this success consistently, though

I love that about the game, to make do with what you are presented with in any given game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.