Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Thomas
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyle, I came across some confusing language that I wanted to bring to your attention if you're doing revisions to the rulebook and player boards.

I figured out how to answer my own question, but it took a minute because the language is confusing about whether the Goblins increase or decrease Rage when they kill the Thief.

The answer, as I understand now, is BOTH.

Here's the confusing language:

ON PAGE 8 (SIDEBAR on "RAGE & MALAISE")
You may also increase Rage by using the Plunder action, using the Fangs Tribe’s special action, or killing the Thief.

ON PAGE 9 (under ATTACK)
When the Tribe attacks the Thief, the Thief is killed. Your Rage decreases by 1, but the Tribe does not scatter. Then, you choose whether to draw Secrets cards or gain Rage based on his Loot Drop Level.

ON GOBLIN BOARD:
Increase Rage: ...killing Thief...
Decrease Rage: When attacking another player...

You can see how it appears contradictory, I hope.

To me, it's confusing because "ATTACKING" the Thief is almost always synonymous with "KILLING" the Thief. The only way I can see to attack the Thief without killing him is if the Thief rolls a successful Unnatural Evasion roll vs. the Goblin's attack. And the Thief only gets THAT ability by choosing to upgrade with a treasure, so it may not even play in any given game.

(And just to clarify, if the Thief does roll a successful Evasion, the Goblins DO decrease their Rage because they attacked another player, whether successful or not. Correct?)

In the SIDEBAR and on the GOBLIN BOARD, the language makes it sound like the Goblins receive an automatic increase in Rage when killing the Thief, but it's not automatic. Goblins have to choose either Rage OR bonus Secrets cards from the Thief's Loot Drop level, and even then it's sometimes ZERO.

Please consider changing the language in both instances from "killing the Thief" to something like, "when choosing Rage from the Thief's Loot Drop reward." Then it will be clear exactly where the increase in Rage is coming from, and I won't mistakenly add 1 Rage just because I attacked the Thief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
At me!
badge
For the Marquise!
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: I was explaining what you already knew. Carry on.
EDIT2: I don't think it's that contradictory. The wording, "Attack", applies to all other players (Cave being the exception), so you would in all cases first lose 1 Rage and then do whatever the attack vs. that particular role would require you to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you answered it on your own, but I can see where the confusion is coming in.

The Goblins do lose Rage automatically for the attack, but then have the option to get some back based on the Theif's Loot Drop.

If the Thief Evades successfully they still lose Rage, but he stays on the map and they don't get any benefit.

It's too late to clear up the wording for the third printing, but I'll make sure this is clarified in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.