Popular Tags: [View All]
Riccardo Fabris
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a double question since I'm unclear on the rulings regarding Falling Back in certain situations.

My friend and I are having the following disagreement regarding the rules for prioritising Falling Back:

"The first priority for the Fall Back
move is the card that is out of LOS of any US units. Next priority
is the card with the highest terrain value. If more than one of
the allowable cards fits these priorities, then determine the card
randomly"

The way I am interpreting the above is as follows:

-Check LoS. If there is only one terrain card which is out of LoS, move there. If there is more than one card, choose the card with the highest cover. If there is still a tie, roll randomly. If no cards are out of LoS, check Cover, then roll randomly if there is a tie.

His interpretation is as follows:

-Check LoS. If there is more than one card that is out of LoS, roll randomly to determine which one you fall back to (do not take into account cover). If there is no card out of LoS, check Cover, and roll randomly if there is a tie.

I'm pretty sure my interpretation is correct, but I wanted to check.

The second question I have is relevant to the above. I'm currently playing the Korea scenario, in which you don't reveal cards until they are in LoS. I faced a situation in which an enemy had three retreat options: two of them were unrevealed (and thus out of LoS), one of them had been revealed previously and was now also out of LoS).

Following my interpretation of the priority system, all three cards are out of LoS, so I check cover. Unfortunately, I only know cover for one of the cards (in my example, it was a +0). Since I don't know what cover is present in the other cards, how do I determine where the enemy retreats? Do I assume the unrevealed cards are cover +0 and roll randomly between them? Or do I place the enemy in the +0 cover and not on unrevealed card as a priority?

If my friend's interpretation is correct, the above problem becomes moot, since you just roll randomly between the three cards without checking cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franklin
msg tools
I follow your friends interpretation, like an if statement, if you have any card out of LOS you move there. You only worry about cover if everything is in LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I follow your thinking, since they use the word priorities. If possible choose a card that no US unit has LOS to; if there are multiple choose the one with the best cover and if still multiple, draw an RN to decide between those. If all possible cards are in US LOS, you can still prioritize a card or cards with the best cover possible; again if there's still multiples, draw an RN to decide between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Fabris
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So no consensus on how it should be resolved? At least it's a solitaire game, so we can both play it differently if necessary. Still leaves weird situations if I use my own interpretation, like I mentioned above. But I've never seen a system in which 'priorities' didn't work like my interpretation, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your interpretation is correct. If the known cover is +0 I would decide randomly between the unknown cards as the cover will be better or equal tan the known card. If the known card will be +1 cover I would pick that card although could be a better one unrevealed. However is true that this method still have problems, what if there are a +0 and +2 cover unrevealed and randomly chose the +0? You backtrack? shakeIt is probably best to use your friend interpretation when there are cards unrevealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Riccardo. On the first situation, your interpretation is correct. On the second situation (Korea), fall back to the revealed card.

Best,
Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Fabris
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that seems pretty cut and dried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.