Mat Thorne
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you know any game that have hexfields as well as sectors. Hexfields in my understanding would be what any wargame has and sectors would be for example what Cry Havoc has.

Now the question, do you know any games that use both measurements? Something like this for example:

I need this for my WIP, as i am pretty sure the unit movement and combat resolution is way too complex and complicated using hexfields. But the hexfields are neccessary for determing certain key points on the map and placing structures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War Stories: Liberty Road uses a cool hex system where open terrain is a giant hex, and more restrictive terrain can be placed on it using smaller hexes.

So everything costs "one move", but you cover more distance crossing an open plain than you do moving through a small forest. It's a neat idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just quickly thinking of a few variants:
Gammarauders
Magic Realm
Galaxy Defenders (Humans move by hex, aliens by full hex zone)

I'm sure there are others I've seen. Its often an easy way to mix gross and fine movement or area effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Metagaming's Melee and Wizard used hexes for movement and megahexes (groups of 7 hexes) for area effects.

I've recently seen pictures on BGG of a monster wargame that used large hex areas for naval movement over a smaller hex grid for land moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Also SPI's Cityfight: Modern Combat in the Urban Environment, and many others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
I've recently seen pictures on BGG of a monster wargame that used large hex areas for naval movement over a smaller hex grid for land moves.

World War II: European Theater of Operations does that. Sea areas close to land have hexes so that aircraft can move through them using their normal rules. Sea areas further away area just empty areas used by naval units only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soldiers: Man-to-Man Combat in World War II has sections, but not sure if they are used other than for scenario set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xia: Legends of a Drift System might also apply. At least it uses hex areas for distances to determine mission rewards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SHAWN WHITE
United States
JANESVILLE
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Shut the fuck up
badge
Whatever
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Just quickly thinking of a few variants:
Gammarauders
Magic Realm
Galaxy Defenders (Humans move by hex, aliens by full hex zone)

I'm sure there are others I've seen. Its often an easy way to mix gross and fine movement or area effects.

I could see the style of hex in Galaxy Defenders working for small units vs very large (or very fast) units. Smaller, slower units move by hex, large/fast units by zone. Cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Laoakai wrote:
Do you know any game that have hexfields as well as sectors

Guards of Atlantis: Tabletop MOBA has both hexes and areas. Mainly to split movement into regular hex-based and "fast travel" which uses areas and as such is much faster, but can only be used in areas with no enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Megahexes were also the first thing that came to my mind. Here's the Melee board (redesigned with color and cutesy art, but the essential element is the same):

You could also iterate this, getting mega-mega hexes made up of 7 mega-hexes. Those showed up in their RPG, and might be a convenient size for a modular map as in your initial image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.