Subject: All the tools you really need ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Give me example of tools or materials you have purchased. Tools or materials for fun or prototyping. Did get this hexagon punch, but think I will get a new (EK Success is probably a better brand than Fiskars).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What size hexagons does it make - I need one that does 4-5cm in size!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This one does 2"/5cm.

I think that the hexagon punch from EK Success is sharper. But I do not really know yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Järventaus
Finland
Loviisa
flag msg tools
mb
Quadrante wrote:
(EK Success is probably a better brand than Fiskars).

SWEDISH PROPAGANDA cry

I used to have the circular one (got it as a gift instead of what I really wanted, the corner rounder... got the corner rounder later), but yeah, that won't cut through the thickest things. Might have some snaggling even with just laminated paper, though I think the hex and the other sturdy shapes should hold better than the 3-in-1 corner cutter with its dial to switch between the shapes and etc. etc.

If you cut paper by hand with a knife or a pizza cutter (I've gone one from Fiskars, no complaints about it), get a really long and sturdy metal ruler with a bit of foam backing but not so much it doesn't reach straight down to the paper you're cutting. I got one that has basically a "cliff-side" vs. the "beach" on the mirroring side where all the measurements are, the steep 90-degree surface helps a bit when cutting.

An office color laser copy machine / printer is a must, of course.

And some friends. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Naeddyr wrote:
SWEDISH PROPAGANDA cry
Haha! Well, I have the corner cutter, the round shape punch and the "pizza cutter from fiskars. They are okey and do their job, but isn't really as sturdy as I want them to.

Naeddyr wrote:
An office color laser copy machine / printer is a must, of course.
... Yes! Optional is ink-printer. But a must have is a large papercutter.

Naeddyr wrote:
And some friends. zombie
Need brai..friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the tools i got:

Rotary ("pizza") cutter (the kind you find in fabric stores)
Magnetic cutting mat with magnets to hold things down
and a metal ruler
.... I use those three to cut a lot of tiles and cards

corner rounder ... again, tiles and cards

a 1-inch diameter circle punch ... great for making stickers for poker chips

a 2.5 inch diameter circle punch ... was using this to put stickers on hex tiles (about the same size as Catan tiles)

a lamination machine ... easy way to make player boards on cardstock ... like for 7 Wonders ... without having to cut thick chipboard

lots of half-inch wood cubes ... to make custom dice or custom cubes

lots of 1-inch wood "coins" ... goes well with the 1-inch stickers made with the circle punch

clay ... for custom pawns, or to make custom beads and counters. plenty of "make a cylinder with an interesting cross section, and cut out "coins" with that cross section"

rubber brayer ("rolling pin") ... cuz sometimes glue works better than stickers. And it seems good to press down those glued pieces with a brayer.

small plastic baggies (from the bead crafts section) and small plastic containers with the snap-on lids (from the dollar store) ... great for storing all those little counters.

penny card sleeves and old playing cards

altoids mint tins

edit to add ...

cookie cutters. to make consistent-shaped counters out of clay sheets

fused bead kits. yet another way to make custom counters / pawns

mini binder clips. to make bases for paper stand-ups

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.