3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: Finding Time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alya Sayer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
How do you all find time to paint new figures while you have two young children running around, with both of my children at school I get more done them but it's hit a point where my 6 year old is now asking me to teach her so she can take over my company.

Should I go ahead and give her a rubbish figure to paint or can I get away with putting it off for a few more years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Seasons Greetings!
mbmbmbmbmb
At my local FLGS they have Games and crafts night. My daughter started at 9. She did war gamer terrain. Then moved into little figure. I won't let her paint my boardgames figures, yet.

There are also D&D figure packs right now at the FLGS that are less than $5 for a pkg of 2. They have some female characters of different races and classes to choose from. Pick ones that are on the larger side. They are easier to start out. I have a Geeklist for painting miniatures it really helped me and my daughter watches them too.

Fisrt 3 Lesson with my daughter were how to properly care for brushes, to little paint on a brush is best, and how to roll a paint drop. If your FLGS doesn't have a craft night. Have the kids watch some painting YouTube with you. Or Start with zombies or skeletons.

Starting at 6. That would for depend on her eye for details, manual dexterity and interest level. I would try. Mine just didn't have interest at that age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad you didn't live closer... We have hundreds of Reaper minis (in addition to boardgame minis) that we won't get around to painting. For most of them, any color is better than no color, and she'd be welcome to paint ours.

I'd suggest just getting some cheap figures for her to paint. Maybe some models related to toys she enjoys? They don't necessarily have to be actual minis; you could try spray-priming some already-painted kids toys and see if that will take. Be creative - this could be a pony or a car or a doll or a dragon or whatever she wants to paint (I have no idea what the current generation of toys look like). Or, if she plays board games, let her paint her favorite game that has paintable bits. I just wouldn't give her a big (lots of minis) project as she might decide she's bored partway through.

A friend of mine let her boys (then 6 & 13) paint their Shadows of Brimstone minis. The younger boy painted the Goliath:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.