Popular Tags: [View All]
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I can't be the only one that bought Mombasa thinking it was a medium euro. Upon reading the rules, I find something slighty more heavy than anything else from my game collection (Automovile being the closest).
Ironically, this was one of the most pleasant games to explain to my group. But playing Mombasa has been another thing. I have been involved -altough burnout- in every game, but the players who did bad had a terrible time.

Mombasa unintentionally bought us into the realm of heavy board games. These are a group of games I have always been reticent to buy and play. The obvious question now is how does Mombasa compares to other heavy games. Mombasa had a lot of rules but was not extremely hard to learn. Is that true for other heavy games? Also, one of the main criticisms of heavy games is that they all sure are complex but not every heavy game is deep. In other words, wich heavy games worth the effort?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
The short answer:

It Depends

-----------------------

Long answer:

First of all, games are subjective. Should I enter the realm of heavy euros? If you don't try, you'll never know!

I'm an ameritrash gamer, so I don't know how heavy Caverna is compared to what euro gamers consider "heavy." But I enjoyed Caverna and it was a monster of a game to set up and play through. Lots of fun though. I don't think I've played any other game that would be considered as heavy and a euro. Star Wars: Rebellion is a pretty heavy Ameritrash game and it is one of my favorites. It looks like Mombasa and Caverna are pretty similar in weight according to BGG.

Like all of these sorts of conversations, I can't blindly suggest anything to you because this hobby is so suggestive. If you enjoyed Mombasa, then it's not going to do you any harm to explore further down that path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I say, play Antiquity just once, and if you survive the experience without cursing the gods for their unending brutality and total lack of regard against the tapestry of perfection...

Then, then you are ready for heavy euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mombasa really isn't heavy, play some cards, kill some natives, ignore history and keep going until the end. It's no High Frontier.

Heavy means so many different things though. I like "heavy" games to be be concise and simple to play, but with a plethora of interesting and frustrating decisions that come out of the game as it unfolds. Others take "heavy" to almost mean how much the box weighs. Like Caverna... It's not heavy, it's very straight forward with low interaction and no massively tough decisions at any point, but it gets called heavy as there are dozens and dozens of different, independent rooms to buy, animals to breed etc.

I love lots of heavy games, I dislike even more, and some I just can't understand in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Mombasa really isn't heavy, play some cards, kill some natives, ignore history and keep going until the end. It's no High Frontier.

Heavy means so many different things though. I like "heavy" games to be be concise and simple to play, but with a plethora of interesting and frustrating decisions that come out of the game as it unfolds. Others take "heavy" to almost mean how much the box weighs. Like Caverna... It's not heavy, it's very straight forward with low interaction and no massively tough decisions at any point, but it gets called heavy as there are dozens and dozens of different, independent rooms to buy, animals to breed etc.

I love lots of heavy games, I dislike even more, and some I just can't understand in the first place.

Caverna is what I consider a gateway heavy. Puerto Rico is another that is really straight forward for its depth. Pretty much anything in the 3.5 range is fairly reasonable to me. It's when you get into the 4+ area where things get interesting. FYI, it took a couple rounds with Mombasa, but once it clicked I was fine, and I won my first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, lets take Through the Ages and Mage Knight has being heavy games of somewhat similar depth. TtA's learning curve and ease of play is far better than MK's. While I still prefer MK by a small margin, TtA is silky smooth once you get up and running considering its depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.