Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
While I really like this game (especially re-rolling after the mission is revealed, rather than the other way around), I consistently find that Mal is one of the less useful dice to roll, which thematically makes little sense, considering he is supposed to be the captain of the ship.

Though Mal's ability to deal 2 damage to Saffron is okay (both thematically and gameplay-wise), I have very rarely find a situation where "Inspiration" proves really useful or worth it, a feeling I think is shared by most players here at boardgamegeek.

I had been thinking a lot about how to make Mal more relevant, and one possible solution could be to replace his "Inspiration" ability with some way to manipulate the mission cards by moving him to the KO pile (which would have to happen after the missions are revealed, but before they have any effect).

So far I have three possibilites (in order of how powerful they are):

a) To look at the top card of the mission pile and either discard it or replace the current mission.

b) To discard the current mission card and THEN draw a new one (which would means you have less control).

or

c) To simply discard the current mission (and there is no mission that round).

I think this would not only make Mal completely unique, and make a lot of sense in terms of his role as captain, but would also provide a way to either get more benefitial missions or, at the very least, get rid of those pesky "bushwacked" ones (especially when they appear in the first round).

Any thoughts? What do you think of the three options?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thread, I agree with all the Mal die thing: unfortunately the times I used Inspiration were very rare (1 or maybe 2 in 31 total plays).

I'm not sure that B and C are in order of how powerful they are. I mean with C you get rid of a certain bad mission and nothing good/bad happens. The control here is really a useful thing.
With B, as you rightly wrote, you have less control but there is a possibility to do something powerful, expecially with the Shiny cards.

I've never checked the percentage of good and bad mission cards, but I prefer the C variant. In case the bad cards are more then half then I prefer B to keep the game hard and challenging.

Then there's the timing thing.

montanus wrote:
which would have to happen after the missions are revealed, but before they have any effect

This should be in the "Step 2 – Get a Mission", in my opinion it's pretty confusing because it's another step to remember.

But there is the possibility of doing:

D) KO the Mal die to manipulate the next mission. Keep it or put at the bottom of the missions deck.

Rather useless this round, but if you choose to Keep Flyin' you can have an advantage the next one. A sort of captain's sixth sense to avoid troubles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with your assesment of how my solution was problematic in terms of timing.

I am not entirely convinced, however, by the possibility of picking the next mission. Though it makes a lot of sense thematically (I love the idea of the captain's sixth sense), I am not sure how useful it would be in a push your luck game like this where it would most of the time be preferable to keep going. The inly case I see it being useful is when you have 4 to 6 dice left after defeating all villain and knowing that there's a shinny mission might convince you to keep going.

I was wondering if instead of looking at the following mission, Mal could be KOd in order to complete a type (or types) of mission

I make a quick count of the mission cards and there are:

8 Shiny (which is clearly advantageous even if you don't complete it)

9 Escape (also advatageous, if you manage to complete it)
6 Gorram (same as above, but forces you to keep flying)

6 Sabotage (negative, though not as bad)
8 Bushwacked (the worst of all)

1 Sabotage + Bushwacked (see above).

So which type (or types) of mission should it be?

Sabotage is, of course, discarded because of the timing. Shiny does not provide any advantage, since you could alternatively KOd Mal in order to deal 1 damage, getting the same effect. So that leaves Escape, Gorram and Bushwacked.

I really like the ability to be able to counteract Bushwacked, so that is my first choice.

Rgarding Escape and Gorram. I think including both might be too much, and Escape in particular could be too powerful, since it allows you to finish the turn (more or less like Book) while giving you extra resources.

My suggestion would be, then, that instead of having his "inspiration" ability, the player can KO one Mal dice in order to complete any Bushwacked or Gorram mission (which, incidentally are both very connected with the options of Lay Low or Keep Flying, providing a certain symetry).

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
montanus wrote:
My suggestion would be, then, that instead of having his "inspiration" ability, the player can KO one Mal dice in order to complete any Bushwacked or Gorram mission (which, incidentally are both very connected with the options of Lay Low or Keep Flying, providing a certain symetry).

I like this idea, now I just have to test it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.