Popular Tags: [View All]
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here to check on several threads I was following and they have disappeared. There was a 20 page thread on the new app that's gone amongst others. Is this a bug? Have the mods deleted them without informing the community? Aliens? Invisiablity spell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had 'subscribed' to them, you can go to your profile and 'manage subscriptions' and see if they moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These threads never existed. Somebody inserted them into your brain. But how? And why? Why are they after you, what did you know? Quit your job. Leave your family. Search for answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked to the left of the forums page and saw a 'linked forums' - and clicked on 'video game'.

There were a lot in there.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28143/race-galaxy/forums...

However, it makes me sad that such things have been moved without notice.

Just because it's an app doesn't mean it's a video game, and plenty of other games have apps that are talked about in the board game section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I looked to the left of the forums page and saw a 'linked forums' - and clicked on 'video game'.

There were a lot in there.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28143/race-galaxy/forums...

However, it makes me sad that such things have been moved without notice.

Just because it's an app doesn't mean it's a video game, and plenty of other games have apps that are talked about in the board game section.

... uh oh... you gone and done it now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worse, many of the 'video game' thread set are not app specific, they are game play related.

thumbsdown for unnecessary community fracturing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I'm not happy with this sudden move of threads, either.

It A) feels like unnecessary fracturing of a very early, still forming community and B) was badly done, by not leaving behind a notice of the move and by moving several threads that had absolutely *nothing to do* with the app itself, as well as a bunch of threads that do talk about the app within the general context of Race and/or Race strategy.

On a constructive note, please remember that you can go to the Race app forums by clicking on "Video Game Forums" in the left sidebar of the Race forums page (and back by clicking on "Board Game Forums").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
This sort of move has been dumb every time it's come up in the past, and continues to be dumb now. And wildly inconsistent.

Stop trying to force VGG to be a thing; it was at least 5 (if not 10) years too late, and many, many primary boardgamers don't want anything to do with it. Trying to force it just annoys your customers, many of whom are paying.

If you just can't let the community decide for itself how to use BGG and VGG to best effect, the easiest, friendliest thing to do is to add another division to each game's forum; "Electronic/Online/App"; then alias that to VGG's forum. Or vice-versa. Whatever.

That way, everything related to the *game* (as a platonic entity) is in one place, people don't have to change their behavior to post and read, people who don't want to see app threads can unsubscribe to that subforum, and theoretically, everybody is happy(er).

But that's too simple and straightforward. Better to keep doing things the same way. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that there should be different areas for questions that are about how the game works versus how the app works. For example, asking if there's a bug with the implementation of some card in the app is something that won't interest people who don't own the app and are just looking for information about the physical game.

But discussions about the app version of a board game don't need to be thrown over to VGG. Race for the Galaxy isn't a video game. The fact that you can play it on a digital device doesn't suddenly convert it to a video game. The strategy, rules and most things about it are going to be the same whether you're talking about the physical board game or the digital implementation.

There should be a "Digital implementation: Apps, Computer versions, etc." forum where these platform specific questions could be discussed. That way, people who are interested in board games, regardless of how it's implemented, can have an experience on BoardGameGeek without being forced to go to VideoGameGeek. VGG is going to have a lot of content they aren't interested in. You should be able to do everything related to a board game on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a Cliffs Notes on how regulars are supposed to change their behavior to suit this? I want to see everything Race-related as i always did.

Edit: i'm subscribed to RFTG and its forums. Also seems like there's no video game subforums to Race expansions, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
entranced wrote:
Is there a Cliffs Notes on how regulars are supposed to change their behavior to suit this? I want to see everything Race-related as i always did.

There doesn't appear to be a way to do it from the "Linked VGG Forum" on the RftG BGG page.

You have to go to the VGG RftG page, and subscribe there.

You could also subscribe to the Keldon's AI entry while you're there, just in case they decide to finally move the Keldon's stuff there. (See the previously alluded wild inconsistency.)

Seriously. This situation is *so* dumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
bgg takes a really dumb stance on this.

it's 2017 and you're a friggin website. you know the internet exists.

no one uses your dumb vgg website, stop trying to make us.

jesus christ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I especially like how when i go to VGG, i'm not logged in. If it's supposed to be directly related site/forums and things get moved around, why do i have to log in separately with the same account? :P

fnord23 wrote:
You have to go to the VGG RftG page, and subscribe there.
Thanks. Here's the links for those who want to subscribe to everything:

https://boardgamegeek.com/videogame/227111/race-galaxy
https://boardgamegeek.com/forums/thing/227111/race-galaxy

https://boardgamegeek.com/videogame/104459/race-galaxy-ai
https://boardgamegeek.com/forums/thing/104459/race-galaxy-ai

Edit: already found a thread that was improperly moved over there. About the solitaire robot. :D

Edit 2: you don't need to use vgg lookslike, the same links work on bgg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the possibility that an account got deleted.

Why this happens I'm not sure, but when it does all of that user's posts vanish. It might remove threads sometimes too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I updated my post, as you can use the same links on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo B.
Italy
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yes, there are ways to go there, subscribe, etc. but in my experience once a thread is moved there it's dead, they might as well delete it.
It's sad really, we are in 2017, digital implementations are an integral part of boardgaming world, but they can't be discussed on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
MaBi wrote:
It's sad really, we are in 2017, digital implementations are an integral part of boardgaming world, but they can't be discussed on BGG.
Well, they can, right up to when it is published. Then the threads get yanked away to VGG and the budding community gets splintered. Sigh.

The IOS Board Games column is part of the News module on BGG, but currently doesn't appear in the VGG News module on VGG. Huh? Apparently, articles notifying readers of new board game apps and later expansions for them is considered "news-worthy" on BGG, but not on VGG!

I think BGG's approach here is just wrong. They should be trying to *build* user communities, not *fracture* them.

I appreciate that some board game "purists" don't want their game threads cluttered up with app posts and that any solution has to include an easy way for them to not see such posts, but I think BGG should really figure out a better approach to handling board game apps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
These threads never existed. Somebody inserted them into your brain. But how? And why? Why are they after you, what did you know? Quit your job. Leave your family. Search for answers.

Welcome...to Night Vale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
There is also the possibility that an account got deleted.

Why this happens I'm not sure, but when it does all of that user's posts vanish. It might remove threads sometimes too.

I didn't think it removed whole threads but it may

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that only deletes that person's contributions. There are a few threads around where the OP has been deleted by most of the replies are still there.

In this instance it was threads being moved to the VGG forums, some which were incorrectly moved (including this thread) are now back in the BGG forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, give it time, and before you know it, Race will get moved to CardGameGeek.com because, well, it's not a board game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, yeah, I don't think it's supposed to wipe threads, but I've been wondering where certain threads went myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VGG.com seems to have takeover powers that target the threads here!
Threads that mention the app are vulnerable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so, what you're saying is that if we talk about the app more, this thread might get relocated? Hmm.... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls