Subject: Why isn't there more Pnp's like this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Martin
msg tools
designer
mb
Hey everyone.

I am really into making Pnp's and I was interested in why isn't there more Pnp's that use actual components?

Like this for example -- https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1769039/wip-rage-glory-2017...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KewlKidJoe wrote:
Hey everyone.

I am really into making Pnp's and I was interested in why isn't there more Pnp's that use actual components?

Like this for example -- https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1769039/wip-rage-glory-2017...

Thanks!

What do you mean by "actual components?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Martin
msg tools
designer
mb
Well like, all of the Pnp's that I always see are just cards, sometimes dice or just like chess boards.

I wish there was more games that had actual pieces that you cut out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh lol then you've just started, try searching for larger builds.

Most pnp games are more concerned with getting the game played so they minimize what it takes to build. From there many people dress up the game bringing more components to it if they have the time and money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it is partly that making just cards and/or a board that you can use with standard components like dice and cubes is easier for the designer than creating other custom components.

And it is partly that if you want a casual PnPer to try your game you want to make and try your game, you want to make it easy for them. Printing out a few sheets of paper/card and cutting them into rectangles is far easier than most other options.

Of course this means that if you can get it right with more "interesting" components, your game might stand out from the crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To expand a little on maf man's post, you might be thinking of things like little character chits/pieces and maybe things like obstacles or equipment lying around? If so, generally speaking, most pnp'ers have a wide variety of bits that they use for those purposes and don't need those kinds of extra pieces to cut out.

Consider that you have a board and cards that you've printed out already. Player pieces might be a set of Sorry tokens for each player, Goods that you need to buy might be represented by piles of Risk pieces (6 types already accounted for in that game!), regular 6-sided dice are already available from that Risk game as well, and enemy pieces might be made up of Scrabble tiles. Don't forget the stacks of money from Monopoly, of course.

All of this from games that are commonly found in most homes, so printing out extra sheets of tokens that you need to cut out seems like unnecessary extra work, doesn't it?

Granted, you don't get custom pieces, but it is also less work on the designer to put together into a printable page (or a few), since most people likely won't ever need those sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KewlKidJoe wrote:
Well like, all of the Pnp's that I always see are just cards, sometimes dice or just like chess boards.

I wish there was more games that had actual pieces that you cut out.
:)

Theres lots of those.

Also theres my Small Adventures game which you make these.

and a couple of years ago I proposed this sandcastle PNP. But it never got far.

Guncrawl has these and these.

And more examples for other games. Some have furniture you make, others have 3d minis or terrain even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.