Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A while back I asked about sources for 10mm fantasy miniatures. That question is finally becoming somewhat more relevant and it's time to dive into rules.

As with historical miniatures, multiple rules sets is a plus. I'm looking more around stands of troops at this scale, so no "just play individually based game X with 10mm guys." I made a travel 40k set once that used individual magnetic epic pieces, but that's not what I'm looking to do here.

Questions I'm interested in: What's out there? What's the very brief overview? Is there good dedicated online community, or at least good support somewhere like TheMiniaturesPage? Planning ahead for multi-system compatibility when possible beats rebasing, so what are the basing conventions?

I'll kick it off, but feel free to add corrections.

1) Warmaster:

I have a pdf LRB from a while back (2009?) as well as some supplementary lists and errata. NO idea the current community state. I believe that basing is 40x20mm with some things (cavalry, chariots, etc) being mounted facing the short edge. Plus leaders/monsters and such being a bit different

2) Hordes of the Things:
Have a copy ordered (v2.1). Not yet arrived. I know there's a facebook group (just joined). I am assuming DBx style 40mm wide varying depth basing?

What else is currently out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:

2) Hordes of the Things:
[snip] I am assuming DBx style 40mm wide varying depth basing?

Correct. There's a lot of leeway wrt element depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warband I really like it, nice color rulebook too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warmaster is still the best option and the historical version is still very popular. My gaming group has almost a dozen armies and regularly runs tournaments, plus we play at least a few times a year on top of that on our regular gaming nights. I believe the fantasy version is now free online, so it won't cost you anything! The other fantasy set that is gaining some traction right now is Kings of War. Although designed for 28mm you can use 10mm as long as everyone uses the same frontages for their armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldwargamer wrote:
Warband I really like it, nice color rulebook too

I saw that one a while back while checking out their minis. Forgot about it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any rules where the number of figures per stand doesn't matter should work with 10, 6 or even 2mm. One game I've played is Fantasy Rules! and its more streamlined cousin Fantasy Rules! Tournament & Campaign Edition (TCE). There is a "chipcolist" Yahoo group.

I agree that Pendraken's Warband looks interesting, especially since they specialize in 10mm figures. Another possibility is Mighty Armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mathews
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Sword and Spear fantasy. They have just been released and ive played the ancients version. A very engaging game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Any rules where the number of figures per stand doesn't matter should work with 10, 6 or even 2mm.

I agree, which is why the title says suitable for and not "hey I need some 10mm specific rules."

Quote:

One game I've played is Fantasy Rules! and its more streamlined cousin Fantasy Rules!. There is a "chipcolist" Yahoo group.

Was one of those supposed to be something else? Fantasy Rules! Tournament & Campaign Edition (TCE) maybe? Both are definitely on the list of rules to check out.

Quote:

I agree that Pendraken's Warband looks interesting, especially since they specialize in 10mm figures. Another possibility is Mighty Armies.

Also added to list. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
Was one of those supposed to be something else? Fantasy Rules! Tournament & Campaign Edition (TCE) maybe? Both are definitely on the list of rules to check out.

Fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
forzamark wrote:
Try Sword and Spear fantasy. They have just been released and ive played the ancients version. A very engaging game.

Looks interesting. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another ruleset I really like is Armies of Arcana

There is a nice newer color rulebook for this also
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldwargamer wrote:
Another ruleset I really like is Armies of Arcana

There is a nice newer color rulebook for this also

Thanks! Before you know it, I'm going to have a shelf full. Not exactly compatible with the current "I'm moving and need to downsize" series of auctions I'm running. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now downsizing is something I really need to do, I have 2 rooms full of games and books and now they are over flowing into the living room and bedroom.

Wife has been hinting rather strongly that I need to get things on order

I have a picture of my game room in my gallery and that was 6 years ago, added lots since then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldwargamer wrote:
Now downsizing is something I really need to do, I have 2 rooms full of games and books and now they are over flowing into the living room and bedroom.

Wife has been hinting rather strongly that I need to get things on order

I have a picture of my game room in my gallery and that was 6 years ago, added lots since then

I currently have the third floor of the house. Some of the places we are looking at have entire floor plans smaller than my game "room".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use any rules, even Warhammer. Along you base you miniatures the same way. Use centimetres instead of inches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HOTT is still the best option and the historical DBA has been mashed-up by a fan as "D3H2" which adds HOTT to DBA v3 so you can have the updated mechanics with HOTT if you like.

Both have active yapoo groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
HOTT is still the best option and the historical DBA has been mashed-up by a fan as "D3H2" which adds HOTT to DBA v3 so you can have the updated mechanics with HOTT if you like.

Both have active yapoo groups.

Didn't know about the HoTT/DBA 3 fan revision. I'll check it out.

HoTT was always going to be in the mix. That's why I ordered it before even asking. The nice thing about generic minis and rules (historical or otherwise) is that there's no reason to have just one (or two.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Hammerschmidt
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
forzamark wrote:

+1 for this. Very popular at the shop right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pvhammer wrote:
forzamark wrote:

+1 for this. Very popular at the shop right now.

It's going into my next order from thewarstore.com. Just need to work out the rest of the order (and wait for game funds to recover from Operation Mercury: The Invasion of Crete)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also A Game of Fire and Ice from WarGamesVault is a very DBA/HOTT -ish set, focused on medieval flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kings of War is another good game to add to the multi-base mix. The base rules use unit sizes of 28mm, so you can either have large units with very big movement or just scale down the move and base sizes and keep everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EyeLost wrote:
Kings of War is another good game to add to the multi-base mix. The base rules use unit sizes of 28mm, so you can either have large units with very big movement or just scale down the move and base sizes and keep everything else.

Yeah, I've played it in it's full size form. IMO, it's a better choice for adapting than WFB. My WFB experience is many versions old at this point, with no experience with the new Age of Sigmar stuff.

Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mentioned Kings of War as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lower
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I love a game of Up Front. Thanks WV!
mbmbmbmbmb

I would give Mayhem: Fantasy Mass Battles a look.

The price is right and the gameplay is fun. There are decisions with each dice roll; the mechanics are straightforward but the tactics and decisions are deep.

Brent is a gifted game designer. Check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Kallistra, miniatures and terrain, with free rules.

https://www.kallistra.co.uk/?page=19

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SquadPainter wrote:

I would give Mayhem: Fantasy Mass Battles a look.

The price is right and the gameplay is fun. There are decisions with each dice roll; the mechanics are straightforward but the tactics and decisions are deep.

Brent is a gifted game designer. Check it out!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.