Gloomhaven» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Just Another Night (actually, our first) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So last night we attempted our first game using the TTS. I don't want to (or I can't) wait for the game to arrive in August (I haven't heard from the pledge manager, should I be concerned?), so I convinced my wife and our tenant to try it electronically.

I'm the only one who has read the rules, and we didn't watch tutorial videos first (probably a mistake). My wife was also coming down with a migraine but she tried her best.

She decided to try the Spellweaver, but not having read the rules, chose 2 high-initiative ability cards. Our opponents chose very low-initiative cards. (All enemies were <35!)

Well, we screwed up on the very first turn, having the Inox Shaman target my wife (the closest player) instead of the closest enemy. She got hit for 3 and disarmed.

Then as the Scoundrel, I threw a Smoke Bomb and set up the long game.

Then the archers all laid traps (5 of them!).

Then our third, the Cragheart, misunderstood how to select cards and drew two randomly from the unavailable cards deck (he chose a level 4 and a level 7 spell!) - did some damage, and further choked up the room with obstacles.

Then the guards got ranged attacks too, and the first one proceeded to smack my wife (who had disappeared up to bed because of her migraine) for another 3 damage (enough to kill her).

Since we had screwed up the first attack, my wife's initiative (I recommended the invisibility cloak so she could avoid getting pummeled), how to play cards, and it was decision time for her anyway. We decided to throw in the towel.

I think we all learned a bit about how to play, but I'm going to recommend a group watching of the Rules Tutorials prior to starting our next attempt.

It was really interesting to see how effective the monsters were at hitting each other in that first round -- Many of them were within one shot of dying, and we characters barely did anything. The challenge to this scenario is definitely going to be killing them before they kill each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manderson
Canada
flag msg tools
Asking my wife to play with a migraine would likely be the more sure-fire way to turn her off of the game. Let things come in due time, friend .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought she'd never play again! But we played the next night (just she and I), and she thoroughly enjoyed it!
Read my much more characterized session review soon to be approved (I hope).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Steele
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing we missed (and it sounds like you might of as well) - it's really very hard to die in the first few rounds. Remember, you can always lose a card from your hand or 2 from our discard to avoid all damage from a single source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you sincerely(because it's important and yes, unusual), we did figure that one out. But since she would have had to pick a discard, there was no way to proceed that night (and another guard lined up on the other side of her waiting for his punch).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this only three times now on normal mode - and I have made it much more difficult than it should be for our little band. I had misread the rules about the monster attacks, and though they moved and attacked every round, irrespective of what the card with their initiative said, just altering the move range or attack range as per the monster card. So we haven't been able to be tactical really - more a slog. I am looking forward to the game tonight where things should be easier.

And yeah, we often forget about the card rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.