Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm posting this here because lots of smart people frequent the HF3 forums. I'm completely ignorant on this but is there any chance this could be developed into some sort of propulsion device?
If so maybe it could be a game "Future" ?

Thanks

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39642992
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think negative mass propulsion wouldn't be useful since you could only move backwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's OK, you just look away from where you're going, and you'll be there soon.

If it truly had negative mass then gravity would repulse it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the article, my first caution is that quantum effects like this are typically only observable at very small scales.

My gut instinct is that rather than truly negative mass, they've generated a force that wasn't expected, and my first suspect would be something like the Casimir effect (referenced in one of the black-side generators): http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Quantum/casimir.html

Alternatively, it could be even simpler - by pushing on the system, they might be setting up a potential comparable to a harmonic oscillator (one of the simplest model systems in quantum mechanics). If you look at the wavefunctions of excited states, they spend more time near the boundaries than in the middle, so if a similar situation is being created, it could appear as if the atoms were being attracted by the object pushing on them. If you're wondering how the heck that works, consider a classical oscillator like a pendulum. Because it stops at each end of its motion, it spends more of its time there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possible solution is that the scientists ran their experiments before having coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Improbability Drive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:

I'm posting this here because lots of smart people frequent the HF3 forums. I'm completely ignorant on this but is there any chance this could be developed into some sort of propulsion device?
If so maybe it could be a game "Future" ?

Thanks

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39642992

Ultimately "mass" is not real but just a convenient book-keeping method to describe how matter behaves. In highly contrived situations, an object may behave as if it has negative mass. It can also behave as if it has negative temperature (i.e. lower than absolute 0), negative energy, or even imaginary (sqrt(-1)) values. In most of those cases, an alternative explanation exists that does not involve negative or imaginary values of familiar quantities, it's just not as elegant.

So, I think it's misleading to talk about constructing rockets of negative mass. The meaningful question is whether we can contrive a scenario where a rocket behaves as if it has negative mass in some limited sense, e.g. being repelled by Earth's gravity. In order to make use of the effect described by the article in the OP, the contrived scenario requires us to reduce the rocket to a kind of completely featureless soup of particles at absolute zero temperature called the "Bose-Einstein" condensate. Neither the English language nor human imagination can adequately describe what a BEC is, but a rough idea is that it is essentially a state where every atom of the rocket is "spread" over the entire volume of the rocket, and "mixed" with every other atom, having irretrievably destroyed all prior structure and information. Oh, and the slightest disturbance (even looking at it) would kick it out of that state. And, you have to somehow couple the force of gravity in some special way. Then, perhaps, it would get repelled by gravity. So, I would not hold my breath about rockets that "fall" into space because they have negative mass.

That said, the work on BECs and negative mass is still absolutely fascinating. Perhaps the negative mass effect can be demonstrated for more normal states of matter than BEC, but if so, I think it will probably have little to do with the BEC effect we are talking about here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Manes
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
Neither the English language nor human imagination can adequately describe what a BEC is...

I'm stealing this line and using it liberally for the rest of my days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.