Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks, my name is Rodney Smith and I have a YouTube channel called Watch It Played dedicated to teaching and playing board games, and this year I was invited to be the special guest on the Geek Nation Tour to Essen Spiel. I've never been to Spiel and I'm pretty excited by the incredible line up of activities taking place over the 13 days of the trip. You can find all of the details here: http://geeknationtours.com/tours_post/essen-spiel-and-gaming...

I also created a short video to discuss it, if you're interested:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I love your videos and all but advertising for tours on BGG (I'm guessing for your own financial gain).

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Smith
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt he's getting any financial gain from the tour. He might be getting his ticket paid for but that's about it, and that'll happen regardless of whether or not he lets people know about the tour.

As a counter-example to the idea that he might be trying to grab a quick buck, Rodney actually intentionally turns off the ads on all of his instructional videos. He knows that he's missing out on potentially large revenue from those since they're his most watched videos, but he does it in order to make everyone's viewing experience better. He's genuinely not in this for the money, he's all about sharing the love of the hobby, first and foremost.

[Edited for clarity]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
I love your videos and all but advertising for tours on BGG (I'm guessing for your own financial gain).

shake

I am being compensated (this is touched on in the video), but I didn't think sharing this would be a potential conflict of interest with the forum rules. If I've crossed a line here, I would want to know so I could remove the thread immediately. If the post just isn't to your liking, that's perhaps a separate matter, but I didn't intend any harm - just keen to get the attention of people who would want to join me on the trip.

But again, I have other channels I can use, if this is not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Dyer
Australia
Taperoo
South Australia
flag msg tools
i'm actually going to essen this year (first time) and this is the sort of thing i'm looking out for. unfortunately in my case i don't have 14 days to do it. thanks for the info otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KailonRislen wrote:
i'm actually going to essen this year (first time) and this is the sort of thing i'm looking out for. unfortunately in my case i don't have 14 days to do it. thanks for the info otherwise.

Perhaps I'll see you there anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
JJWonderboy wrote:

shake

I am being compensated (this is touched on in the video), but I didn't think sharing this would be a potential conflict of interest with the forum rules. If I've crossed a line here, I would want to know so I could remove the thread immediately. If the post just isn't to your liking, that's perhaps a separate matter, but I didn't intend any harm - just keen to get the attention of people who would want to join me on the trip.

But again, I have other channels I can use, if this is not allowed.

If you want to be sure contact Chaddyboy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Knitt
Germany
flag msg tools
In fact, it's me who has the most to gain financially since I'll be the Tour Leader. ha HA!

For reals though, dude's just jacked to go on this tour with us since this is like the Holy Grail of gaming and I don't believe he's "advertising" (that's what we have marketing people for).

I, on the other hand, will shamelessly plug this tour as much as I can in any and every possible venue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Knitt
Germany
flag msg tools
KailonRislen wrote:

Depending on where you'll be and when, we'd love to have you come game with us. Shoot me a message and we'll see if we can meet up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meow San

Chaos Realm of the Soul
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jknitt wrote:
KailonRislen wrote:

Depending on where you'll be and when, we'd love to have you come game with us. Shoot me a message and we'll see if we can meet up!

be kewl to see u all there! i meant at essen spiel lol..

humm for some reason i cant get into the geeknationtour website.

i do wonder if they do partial tour. i wanna visit some castle n factory n thats all..

(edited due to cant get into the website)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, the site is working for me, but I'll direct you to this link for an update on the tour: https://youtu.be/HCoPsOa3Z2Y?t=2m27s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.