Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am absolutely giddy that this IP is getting a game, and the descriptions of it took me by surprise, I was anticipating more of a cash in.

Here's the real last sticking point though......will this just use screen captures from the show? That'd be a game over I pass move for me.

Will this have original art and embrace the extreme visual creativity and style of the book covers and the show? Or should we expect photos of actors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure Geoff said it would be photos from the show? This is based on the show, not the books (strictly speaking).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Photos and screen grabs? <insert sad trombone here>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel the same way love the books / ip.

I read somewhere it was going to be screenshots from the tv series, put me right off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu$&.

That's a lot of wind right out my sails. What a wasted opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its funny I got into an argument with someone on here who thought the majority of people preferred screen caps.

Me personally, I am OK with screen caps as long as the gameplay makes up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
personally, who cares about the art .. game with live or die on the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I care about art. It's part of what I do for a living and who I am as a person. It's a large part of what I enjoy about this hobby. I will not buy a game with screen grabs as art. It's half-assed and dated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found it, it's on the wizkids website.. Quote...

"The card-driven game uses key images from the show"

http://wizkids.com/2017/02/16/wizkids-board-game-based-on-th...

Oh well see what the final product looks like and plays I guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Artorig wrote:
I care about art. It's part of what I do for a living and who I am as a person. It's a large part of what I enjoy about this hobby. I will not buy a game with screen grabs as art. It's half-assed and dated.

Now Geoff did say the board is based on the control panels that are in the show and looks really nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...this hobby has come far enough that at any time I have WAY WAY more good options to play/buy than I ever will reasonably be able to. I don't have to settle for products that take short cuts or settle for less.

Sorry but pictures of actors is the absolute epitome of lazy uninspired design and it won't get a cent from me. I have zero interest in seeing that on my table. I don't care if the design is amazing. There are many amazing designs out there that ALSO respect me enough to give me an ounce of effort on art and presentation. I'll spend my money on one of the other fifty games I have on my STOKED TO OWN Amazon or CSI lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can only think of only one reason to do it in todays market, speed.

Getting a game up using pre existing screen shots or screen caps from a hd source must be quicker than commissioning an artist to create multiple images from scratch. Just need to get a graphic designer to put the images together, which they would need to do anyway with new art.

Was going to say cost too but don't they have to pay the actors for image rights ? Don't know, depends on what was in the contracts the actors signed I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
It is shots from the show, but I would ask you to reserve judgement until we post the component pics. Personally I think the component art looks fantastic, and really is evocative of the show.

I'm not sure when WizKids is going to release the images, but hopefully it will be soon. I'm not good at keeping secrets and it's killing me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*clears throat*

Remember Legendary Firefly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
bhz1 wrote:
*clears throat*

Exactly. I also own Battle at Hogwarts, and it looks great to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
*clears throat*

What....point are you making here? Legendary Firefly was paintings/drawings not photos.....

Are you referring to how some of them were really really weirdly poorly done? Is this an argument AGAINST art and PRO random pics from the show?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
CasualToast wrote:

... random pics from the show?

I doubt they'll be random. Quite the opposite actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, personally I *like* photos if the property is based on a TV show - but I'd rather have photos than any illustrations in those cases. The graphic design looks quite nice by the way!

In any case, the game sounds really good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Photo stills can be done well but wizkids have bad form on this. Their card art for Star trek attack wing was awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anevil giraffe
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Firefly the Game has stills and photos and it looks great... don't worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperJoeUK wrote:
Can only think of only one reason to do it in todays market, speed.

Really? I can think of at least two more reasons:

1. Brand recognition. By using familiar imagery from the show, the game will be far more likely to appeal to fans that know the show but not the books (including some portion of non-gamer Expanse fans).

2. Have you SEEN the cinematography and art direction on the show? It's fantastic! A lot of thought and skill went in to it and there are likely to be amazing screen grabs available for the artists creating the visual content for the game.

Personally, I'll be withholding judgement until art and components are made public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

1. Brand recognition. By using familiar imagery from the show, the game will be far more likely to appeal to fans that know the show but not the books (including some portion of non-gamer Expanse fans).

Fair point.

Quote:

2. Have you SEEN the cinematography and art direction on the show? It's fantastic! A lot of thought and skill went in to it and there are likely to be amazing screen grabs available for the artists creating the visual content for the game.

Hhmm maybe, just because it looks amazing on TV (agreed btw) does not mean that it will translate to cards. Depends on how good a job they do.

Quote:

Personally, I'll be withholding judgement until art and components are made public.

My last comment was lets see what it looks and plays like, if its great then cool, doesn't stop me being disappointed when I read it was going to be screen shots. Not as disappointed as when I found out the fallout game was going to be a miniatures combat game though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's actually another reason for using existing IP imagery...cost.

You already have an art department with the original IP that has done the work. If you license it you will have access to all their work. That's a HUGE cost savings. And considering Wizkids appears to be licensing from the TV production then you are already paying a fee to them. Why not use what they already have - especially if there is appropriate imagery. And it's a sci-fi show, right? A lot of the imagery is not "filmed on location in the asteroid belt..." it's SOMEBODY'S original art.

Now believe me, I understand when artists get upset because screenshots are being used instead of original art...but let's think about this practically. If you used original art, EVERY piece would need to be approved by the IP holder...a nightmare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As I said above that assumes that that the image rights were cheap. Just because the publisher has the rights to the name does not mean they get image rights from the actors. Been in that situation personally and image rights can be expensive. Depends on what contracts were signed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the graphic design is the most important element. Even if using screen captures, you can really make up for it with an awesome graphic design. Compare Star Trek: Attack Wing to Star Trek: Ascendancy. The graphic designer on Ascendancy was amazing. Not only making boring screen captures look great, but giving each race a totally different graphic design based on Mike Okuda & his team's original work.

I do agree though that illustrations are better but I can imagine the hell they are going through getting approvals. I had to do that years ago on some Star Trek video games and it was tough! Using screen caps was easy, they had a whole library of pre-approved images. But original artwork had to go through a committee and actors which took weeks to months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.