6 Posts

Catan: Cities & Knights» Forums » Rules

Subject: Displacing a knight in catan cities and knights rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Annie passingham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi everyone, I need help settling a dispute over displacing knights in the Cities and Knights version of Catan. If I want to displace an opponents knight from a common intersection with one of my own activated knights, does my knight have to have come from the same stretch of road as the intersection I am displacing or can it have come from a totally separate stretch of road on another part of the board?

The rules say "move an activated knight..." and does not say it has to be from the same road but my friend thinks it does because of the "moving a knight" rule where you can move you own knight to another part on the same road.

My argument is that you take the explanation from "displacing knights" totally separate to the explanation above on "moving a knight".

Thoughts?
P.s. people have told me to post this in the rules thread but that doesn't come up as an option in the drop down menu so I'm posting it here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knights
Movement: Move along player's own road to new intersection (max 1 knight/intersection)

◦Moving and Displacing
◾Move own knight to an intersection with another player's knight

◾Only weaker knights can be displaced
◾Displaced knight is moved by its owner to a free intersection along their own road. If none available, knight is removed from board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
Salemm wrote:
Hi everyone, I need help settling a dispute over displacing knights in the Cities and Knights version of Catan. If I want to displace an opponents knight from a common intersection with one of my own activated knights, does my knight have to have come from the same stretch of road as the intersection I am displacing or can it have come from a totally separate stretch of road on another part of the board?

The rules say "move an activated knight..." and does not say it has to be from the same road but my friend thinks it does because of the "moving a knight" rule where you can move you own knight to another part on the same road.

My argument is that you take the explanation from "displacing knights" totally separate to the explanation above on "moving a knight".

Your friend is right. The rules already defined what it meant to "move a knight."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salemm wrote:
P.s. people have told me to post this in the rules thread but that doesn't come up as an option in the drop down menu so I'm posting it here

What they are meaning is that you should post it in the "Rules" section of the Catan: Cities & Knights forum. (Scanning that list, I see a LOT of interesting rules questions!)

I've pressed the call button to try to get admin attention, so it's likely that the thread will be moved for you.

Welcome to BGG, the best board games site on the interwebs!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annie passingham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
But if I wanted todisplace a knight then surely I would go to that paragraph in the rule book and read "move one of your active knights to a common intersection" and it doesn't specify where the knight has to come from. Moving a knight is your own and displacing is a totally different movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
Salemm wrote:
But if I wanted todisplace a knight then surely I would go to that paragraph in the rule book and read "move one of your active knights to a common intersection" and it doesn't specify where the knight has to come from. Moving a knight is your own and displacing is a totally different movement.

I see your point. In a perfect rule book, the section regarding displacing another knight would include a reference to the section for moving a knight. In practice, many rule books are imperfect and have information scattered about. As a result, most rule books have to be read as a whole. In this case, since the rules for displacing a knight immediately follow the rules for moving a knight, we can safely assume that the authors of the rule book expect us to know the rules for where knights can move and to apply them here.

Additionally, consider the rules thematically. A knight can move along a road, but cannot occupy the same intersection as another knight. But a bigger knight can force a smaller knight to move away from the intersection. Perhaps it would make sense for knights to be able to cross the countryside and get to another road. But does it make sense for a powerful knight to be able to travel cross-country to displace a smaller knight, but not to be able to travel cross-country unless a knight is there to displace? No, it does not. (Motivation is not an issue - the knight is following your instructions, not making choices of his own.) Rules that break theme exist in many games, but if assumptions are being made, the safer bet is to assume that theme is being maintained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.