Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Do you know similar games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ulrik Madsen
msg tools

I have spent some time designing this fantasy game, where you play as Dwarf, Elf, Orc, Troll, Halfling or Small dragons. I enjoy it and know of no similar games, but I know all of you have probably played and know more games than I. So I want to ask: Do you know any similar games?

To describe it very short: You all have one fortress with gold in the treasury and one warrior, who will move around with dice rolls. The warrior can attack with the die and the opponent will defend warrior or fortress with a die. Added to this is the possibility of upgrading attack bonus and defence bonus by obtaining bonus cards or completing missions. A mission could be win an attack against a specific player. Your goal is to end the game with more gold than the other players. You will make and break alliances in every round. I will not go too much into detail. And the picture is just to get an idea of the board, there have been recent changes, so it looks a bit different now.

Look past the graphics and the fantasy universe, it is not so important. Can you name any other games, where you move by a die roll, attack and defend other players with dice and steal some sort of resource from them?

I want to see if my thoughts are unique, or what works well in similar games.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following games immediately come to mind:
Talisman
Runebound
Runebound Midnight

But don't let that stop you -- create what you enjoy.

What interesting decisions are created when you have players roll dice to move or do combat?

Is there another way you could make these aspects of the game more interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Madsen
msg tools
Thank you I will look at those games.

I think it is interesting, that you need to know some math and statistics to decide if it is a good idea to attack, use a siege weapon card to boost your attack or save it for later.

When you roll to move you decide if you go aganist player a, b or c. Also you decide if it is worth the risk to attack once more to maybe finish a mission or if you should hurry home with the loot as your warrior is a sitting duck away from the fortress.

There, you made me reveal more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yup, definitely Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) and Runebound.
Runebound: Midnight is just an expansion for Runebound 2nd ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Also, Dragoon just finished a KS and sounds like it might also have some similarities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I want to see if my thoughts are unique

I can say with absolute confidence: No your ideas are not unique.

What makes a great game is not unique ideas or mechanics, but rather how the mechanics are connected together to create interesting game play: strategy/tactics, drama, exciting finishes, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Madsen
msg tools
rri1 wrote:
Quote:
I want to see if my thoughts are unique

I can say with absolute confidence: No your ideas are not unique.

Ok maybe I will rephrase.
I just want to make sure, that we cannot find a game so similar to mine, that you will say I ripped it of. It would be quite frustrating to have put a lot of work into this, just to find out someone made a 95% similar game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb

Setting similar mechanics aside, the high fantasy theme was the dead giveaway. had stopped reading after the lists of characters. Add dice combat as others pointed out and it's pretty generic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
sweetgotham wrote:

Setting similar mechanics aside, the high fantasy theme was the dead giveaway. had stopped reading after the lists of characters. Add dice combat as others pointed out and it's pretty generic.

Yeah, could change it to hackers prowling the internet (or some other shared network) and robbing each others crypto-currency, each of which uses a different handle (which could very well still refer to fantasy races for an amusing juxtaposition) and has a different specialty.

Otherwise, a lot of folks have done similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Madsen
msg tools
Maybe I misunderstand sweetgotham, as I am not familiar with the term generic. You are saying it's been done before?

That's why I wanted you to look beyond the game universe as it could be aliens fighting for fuel to get to another galaxy or vegetable in a garden competing for manure for all I care
Except a lot of people know the Elf+Orc universe, and will find it easy to relate to in a game, so no need to make up new species, that is why I chose this.

I admit my experience with heavier games is non-existing. I have only recently (2-3 years)started playing more board games like Ankh-Morpork, Lords of waterdeep, Settlers. None of those with the same kind of reliance on dice.
25 years ago I played games like Hero Quest and Risk, none of those can be compared to what I want to create.

So I asked here to hear, If I in my 15-20 year gap of not playing games missed any games rolling dice for movement and combat which really works well.

I'm grateful for more names. I checked the first ones out and still find them different enough from my own game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there are any other games out there where you move by a die roll and attack other people with a die roll. This sounds like a very unique idea.

I would recommend to go through the motions and effort to get this published or kickstarted. I think publishers would be drooling for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Madsen
msg tools
mdrog2 wrote:
I don't think there are any other games out there where you move by a die roll and attack other people with a die roll. This sounds like a very unique idea.

I would recommend to go through the motions and effort to get this published or kickstarted. I think publishers would be drooling for this.

Thanks a lot you are very helpful.
I guess there are jackasses all over the old www.

Anyway thanks to the people here who are serious and friendly.

I found this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/5961/roll-your-life-dice-...
Still I don't find any of this too similar, I just think someone must have had an idea like this before, but not quite it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Not sure: Arcadia Quest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Madsen
msg tools
I have never played Arcadia Quest but looked at reviews before, and it seems like a fun game.

I am looking at a lot of reviews and play throughs.
It was just easier to ask here, If you guys had ideas.
I'll go look some more, and we can close down this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll to attack and defend is extremely common. Roll to move is very common among mass market games and usually not very well received by most gamers. I don't think I've seen one that uses dice for both movement and combat. No one will accuse you of ripping something off. A very common selling point is "it's like [game name here]". If you think you like it, go ahead and work on it. Get other people to try it out, and see how they feel about it. Plenty of games out there do really well that don't necessarily stand out from the rest as long as they implement the gameplay well or have some interesting way of presenting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Monts

Louisiana
msg tools
Played a Ninja Turtle game recently that had groups of dice, and depending on the side rolled you could move/attack/defend etc.

I think uniqueness is more in the presentation and story than the mechanics. And also sometimes overrated.

You can make a great game by using various mechanics from other games as long as they flow well and the story/theme/world is awesome.

good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
monts wrote:
Played a Ninja Turtle game recently that had groups of dice, and depending on the side rolled you could move/attack/defend etc.

I think uniqueness is more in the presentation and story than the mechanics. And also sometimes overrated.

You can make a great game by using various mechanics from other games as long as they flow well and the story/theme/world is awesome.

good luck!

I forgot about that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
For the basics of "roll dice to move, roll dice to attack" there's a lot of potential variety.

Just because your core mechanics aren't entirely unique and never-before-seen, doesn't mean you can't produce an original game that uses them. It's good to find out about these games - but use them as comparison points - "If you like X, give this a look!". You also want to know enough about these games to avoid making the exact same thing by mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UlrikMadsen wrote:
Can you name any other games, where you move by a die roll, attack and defend other players with dice and steal some sort of resource from them?

King's Bounty
Talisman
Might & Magic Heroes
Return of the Heroes

If you look at the idea itself (play a hero, move on a fantasy map, have castles and fortresses, fight pvp) and leave the mechanisms aside you will find dozens of games like this.
But your photo looks like you have packed enough thoughts into it to it to give it the potential to a cool game. Go for it, take the examples just as references.

And don't worry: whatever you have in mind, the Simpsons already did it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.